Impossible to sign into Microsoft account on new Suface Laptop

Geoff Bishop 20 Reputation points
2026-09-23T15:17:21.15+00:00

I have a MS account on my desktop. I've tried logging in to this on my new laptop but the password option is no longer available. It asks for a Passkey (which I don't have). When I've clicked the use alternative way to log in it goes back to the passkey login box an we go round and round. The alternative ways to sign in are not accessible. MS urges you to create an account yet makes it impossible to sign in. THEY NEED TO SORT THIS OUT!

Surface | Surface Laptop | Install and update
0 comments No comments

Answer accepted by question author
Carl-L 23,195 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2026-09-24T07:09:06.75+00:00

Hello Geoff Bishop,

Welcome to Microsoft Q&A forum.

Before we proceed, may I have a photo of the situation to check for you? A passkey usually is not set up by default and can only be added manually by the account or device owner. Please remember to remove all personal information before posting.

I'm waiting for your reply.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Geoff Bishop 20 Reputation points
    2026-09-24T16:34:34.95+00:00

    Carl-L,

    Below are two screenshots. The indicated alternative ways to sign in do not work. Any dialog box showing alternatives to the first screen shot appear for less than a second then disappear. I did delve in to the depths of the Miscrosoft site and found a possible way to sign in. I provided my cellphone number which was accepted as secondary verification but was then asked for an additional verification for which I provided my email address but by the time I got the email, the verification passcode had expired. This bug needs to be sorted out urgently. Geoff BishopScreenshot 2026-09-24 165914

    screenshotScreenshot 2026-09-24 165914

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.