Error 399287 blocking MFA sign-in, PhoneReputation block on registered number, sole admin cannot complete verification

Himanshu Arora 20 Reputation points
2026-09-21T14:31:13.0233333+00:00

Summary

I am unable to complete MFA sign-in to an existing Microsoft Entra tenant where I am the Global Administrator. Sign-in accepts my password, then fails at the second factor with error code 399287 on both SMS and voice, which points to a PhoneReputation block on my registered phone number rather than a problem with the number itself.

The number receives texts and calls normally for everything else. The Microsoft Authenticator method registered on the account is no longer available, so telephony is my only remaining second factor, and it is the one being blocked.

Environment

  • Service: Microsoft Entra ID, MFA sign-in
  • Account: Global Administrator of the affected tenant
  • Registered methods: Microsoft Authenticator (device no longer available), plus SMS and voice to a registered mobile number
  • Cloud: worldwide commercial cloud (microsoftonline.com)

What happens

  1. I sign in with the correct password. It is accepted.
  2. The Authenticator push appears. I cannot approve it, since that device is gone.
  3. I choose "I can't use my Microsoft Authenticator app right now" and the verification list shows: Authenticator, Use a verification code, Text, and Call.
  4. Selecting Text or Call fails immediately with "Sorry, we're having trouble verifying your account. Please try again." No code is sent and no call is placed.

Error details

Error Code:     399287
Request Id:     
Correlation Id: 
Timestamp:      2026-09-21T14:18:30Z

I understand error 399287 indicates the phone number has been flagged by Microsoft's PhoneReputation service, which blocks SMS and voice verification at the backend even when the number works for other services. This is not something I can clear from inside the portal, because I cannot sign in far enough to reach authentication settings.

What I have already confirmed

  • The password is correct and is accepted.
  • The registered mobile number is live and receives SMS and calls for other services.
  • The Authenticator method is registered but the device is gone, so it cannot be used.
  • SMS and voice both fail instantly with 399287, so telephony is blocked rather than merely unanswered.

My question

Can a moderator help have the engineering team clear the PhoneReputation block and reset MFA on this account, so I can sign in and register a fresh method?

From other threads with the same error, I understand this is resolved by the engineering team unblocking MFA and removing the bad-reputation flag from the backend, after the requester provides their details by private message.

I can provide by private message: the account sign-in name, the tenant ID, the registered phone number with country code, and the country.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other

Answer accepted by question author
Michelle Nguyen 1,940 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2026-09-21T14:49:40.04+00:00

Hi @Himanshu Arora

I'm just another user here on this public forum, not your organization's admin, so I'm not able to reset or unlock anything on your account myself.

Because you've been locked out of the account, you'll need to contact Microsoft's Data Protection team for assistance. They are the only team authorized to help recover access in situations involving the sole administrator account. 

When a call is made to support, the first step is to provide an automated voice response from AI. Be careful, you won't be able to speak to a support representative if you don't respond appropriately here. 

Contact Microsoft customer support | Microsoft Support 

Here's an example of a response that actually led to a support representative. Please refer to it. 

YAML

Q. Can you tell me if you are calling as a home user who uses a product or service at home or a business user who uses it in your business to provide the best assistance? 
A.I am a business user. 
Q. Thank you. Can you give me the details of your inquiry? 
A. Login technical support. 
Q. First of all, can you tell me which products you are inquiring about today? 
A. Microsoft 365 business Standard。 
Q. Please wait a moment, I understand Microsoft 365. Are you calling about a new case or an existing one? 
A. New. 
Q. To receive phone support, your phone number must be associated with your Microsoft 365 admin profile. To do this, go to aka.ms/m365profile. Again, it aka.ms/m365profile . This can take 48 hours. In the meantime, you can go to aka.ms/m365profile and file a case online. If you prefer, you can also text the link to the phone number you are calling. What do you think? 
A. The phone number is already linked to the link. 
Q. Can you tell me about the products in your inquiry? 
A. Microsoft 365 Business Standard. 
Q. Are you a Global Administrator? 
A. That's right. 
Q. I'm sorry. I didn't understand. Are you a global administrator for your domain? 
A. Yes, I am a global administrator for the domain. 
Q. If you have any inquiries, you can contact a Microsoft representative. Are you sure? 
A. Yes. Please. 
Q. Yes, I understand. Please wait a moment.

Please note that this team is always overwhelmed, so you might need to wait for them to call you, this should take 3-10 working days.

In case the phone line is not supportive, you can consider directly submitting a support request as a helpful workaround:    

Consider signing up for a trial subscription to create a new tenant. Visit Microsoft 365 Business Plans and Pricing | Microsoft 365. 

Once the new tenant is set up, you can access its admin center and submit a support ticket through Microsoft 365 admin center > Support > Help & Support to contact the Data Protection team regarding the previous tenant. Please remember to cancel the trial subscription after your issue is resolved, as this will help you avoid any accidental billing. You may prefer the following resource for detailed instructions: Cancel your Microsoft business subscription in the Microsoft 365 admin center | Microsoft Learn 

I hope this helps point you in the right direction. If you have any updates or additional questions, feel free to reply back and I'll do my best to assist further. 

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Newest

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.