OneDrive deleted all files, except folders. Folders remain empty. Using Mac Ventura 2017 and legacy OneDrive app.

JTE 0 Reputation points
2026-09-21T07:48:56.3+00:00

I run a MacOS (2017 Ventura) and have a legacy OneDrive app. I use an iMac at my work place and a MacBook Air at home and an iPhone. I recently updated my MacOS on my iMac and MacBook Air. I noticed later that a large number of my files went missing in my OneDrive folder at work (on my iMac). The folders remained perfectly intact, but all the folders were empty. I signed in on the OneDrive web portal and the same thing, the folders were empty. I checked on my phone, same thing, folders were empty. Luckily, on my laptop, I still had the files. So I deleted the OneDrive app and downloaded it again. On my iMac and my MacBook Air. And I clicked sync. Once again, the issue happened and now I have lost all my files, even from the MacBook Air that had the files. The folders are there, but empty. I have lost all the files. How do I get them back? I checked the recycle bin on both my Macs and I checked the recycle bin on the OneDrive web portal, no luck, all empty, does not show any deleted files or folders. I checked the restore function on the web portal, but it does not show any deleted files for the last 29 days. what do I do? These files are very important for my work and personal life.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | Other | MacOS
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Thomas4-N 22,380 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-24T07:20:08.2333333+00:00

    Hello JTE,

    I’m sorry you’ve lost access to these files. The next useful check is for a copy outside the current OneDrive sync state: search either Mac in Finder for a specific missing filename, then check any Time Machine or other backup made before the files disappeared. Please avoid further OneDrive reinstalls or resyncs while you do this.

    If this is a work or school OneDrive account, your IT administrator can investigate further. If it’s a personal account and neither a local copy nor a backup exists, I don’t want to promise that the files can be recovered.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. AI answer

    2026-09-21T07:49:15+00:00
    1. Check the OneDrive website Recycle bin immediately. On the left side of OneDrive on the web, select Recycle bin, select any missing files or folders, and choose Restore. For personal accounts, deleted items can be restored within 30 days. For work or school accounts, deleted items can be restored within 93 days unless the administrator changed retention.
    2. In the OneDrive web Recycle bin, use Show Personal Vault items if needed. Files stored in Personal Vault do not appear in normal search results.
    3. Check whether the files were saved under a different OneDrive account. Since multiple devices and account types are involved, sign out and sign in again with the other Microsoft account if applicable. If both personal and work/school OneDrive are used, verify the correct account.
    4. Check the local Mac Trash on any Mac that previously had the files. If files were deleted from a OneDrive folder on Mac, open Trash, select the files or folders, right-click, and choose Put back. That restores them to the original folder.
    5. Re-link OneDrive on Mac so the local folder reconnects correctly:
      1. Use Spotlight to search for OneDrive and open it.
      2. Sign in.
      3. When prompted that a folder already exists, select Use this folder.
      4. Let OneDrive resync.
    6. If Desktop or Documents were expected to be backed up on macOS, confirm the Mac is using the standalone sync app and that Full Disk Access is enabled for OneDrive in System Preferences > Security & Privacy Preferences > Privacy.
    7. If the files are not in Recycle Bin, Trash, Personal Vault, or another account, and Restore your OneDrive shows no recoverable activity, contact support immediately:
      • For personal accounts: use Contact Microsoft Support.
      • For work or school accounts: contact the organization’s IT helpdesk, service desk, or admin.

    Important: avoid further file moves or deletions while checking recovery locations, because additional sync activity can make recovery harder.


    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.