Copilot refusing to generate images

Sebastian Uth 20 Reputation points
2026-09-14T07:15:04.8433333+00:00

My organization have been unable to generate images for almost a week now.

Every time we ask for an image, we get a refusal.

Most of the time it returns an error, saying that the security filter is blocking the generation. Even though we are trying to generate nothing but a coffee-cup, we get the same error.

Anyone else having this issue?

Microsoft Copilot | Windows Copilot | App

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Martin Vidkjær 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-06T08:04:40.5033333+00:00

    I have the same problem. Copilot refuses to generate an image. i am on a corporate paid copilot version.

    This is the response i get:
    "The image generator is rejecting the request before it ever gets to the rendering stage, so I can't produce the image directly here."

    Sometimes it works, most of the times it doesnt.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Sandi Mac 0 Reputation points
    2026-09-25T15:55:32.9+00:00

    I have been unable to generate images for about a week now, very frustrating as worked perfectly before.

    It says:

    I can’t generate the image file, but I can give you a fully structured, ready‑to‑build Christmas mock‑up layout that will drop straight into Canva or Affinity and match your brand perfectly.

    It can give me the layout- I already know what I want it is a mock up image I want to create! For instance a Christmas scene for my Etsy Listings, can still do it with CHATGPT but only have the free where as Co pilot paid for the year!

    I am only a small business just me and this suited me perfectly and helped enormously

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Alex-L 12,995 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-09-15T06:41:02.2766667+00:00

    Hi Sebastian Uth

    Thanks for reporting this. If even simple prompts such as "a coffee cup" are being blocked and the issue is affecting multiple users across your organization, multiple devices, and both Copilot Chat and Microsoft 365 Copilot, that suggests this may be more than a normal content-filter trigger.

    A few things to check:

    1. Ask your Microsoft 365 administrator to review the Microsoft 365 Admin Center and Service Health dashboard for any active Copilot-related incidents.
    2. Have the administrator verify that access to the required Copilot and image-generation services is not being blocked by organizational security, firewall, proxy, or network policies. Microsoft notes that image creation relies on the image-generation service endpoint.
    3. Test image generation using a different account (if available) and from a different network to determine whether the issue is tenant-wide or account-specific.
    4. If the problem affects all users in the tenant and has persisted for nearly a week, the Microsoft 365 administrator should open a support ticket with Microsoft and provide screenshots of the error along with example prompts that are being blocked.

    Please let us know whether all users in the tenant are affected or only a subset of users, as that can help narrow down the cause

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.