Thank you for the info - as requested -
Windows 11
Version 25H2 (OS Build 26200.9550)
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
So, i'm a digital artist and I've been using a slim pen 2 for almost half a decade at this point. It's literally never given me a single problem before. Last november, I upgraded from my surface laptop studio to a surface pro because it's more portable and would be compatible with the slim pen2 that I already had, so I wouldnt need to buy a new pen. Things had worked great for the last few months, but since the most recent windows update its been doing this. almost every time I lift the pen up, it leaves a random dot when I'm not touching the screen.
things i've already tried that did not work:
buying a new pen. it happens with both the slim pen I've been using since 2023 and the brand new one i bought literally today. I assumed it was because my other slim pen 2 was about 3 years old at this point but no luck. Now I have 2 useless $90 paperweights.
uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and firmware for the pen
uninstalling and reinstalling clip studio paint, the art software i use.
restarting the computer
force-updating the computer
using the surface diagnostic toolkit (came up with nothing)
re-pairing the bluetooth for the pen. Did this 4 times. nothing.
screaming into a pillow. didnt fix it, but it did help me emotionally.
this issue also shows up in the surface pen pressure calibration screen and I couldn't do anything to fix it there either regardless of how i adjusted the settings, so it's not just an art program issue.
I ONLY bought the surface pro instead of a regular laptop so that I could draw on it, and now I can't. Has anyone else had this issue? If you know how to fix it I'll. I dunno, I'll buy a cake with your name on it or something. I just want to make art again.
Thank you for the info - as requested -
Windows 11
Version 25H2 (OS Build 26200.9550)
Shut down completely
Hold Power button for 20 seconds straight
Release
Wait 10 seconds
Power on normally
This resets the digitizer controller.
Test immediately after boot before opening other apps.
This fixes ghost input surprisingly often.
Open Device Manager → Human Interface Devices →
Disable HID-compliant touch screen
Restart.
Test drawing.
If the dots disappear → the Windows update broke palm rejection.
Uninstall the latest cumulative update installed right before this started.
Restart.
Test.
Shut down Surface completely.
Hold Volume Up → press Power → keep holding Volume Up until UEFI appears.
Use the Slim Pen 2 to:
Tap repeatedly
Lift slowly
Make quick movements
Hover close and lift
Watch for:
Random taps
Phantom selections
Screen reacting when you’re not touching
If it misfires here → likely hardware.
If it doesn’t → Windows/software issue.
AI answer
It sounds like you're experiencing an issue with your Surface Slim Pen 2 where it leaves dots on the screen after lifting it, which can be frustrating, especially for a digital artist. Since you've already tried several troubleshooting steps, here are a few additional suggestions that might help:
Hopefully, one of these suggestions helps you get back to creating art without interruptions!