August 26, 2025 KB5063842 (OS Build 19045.6282) Taskbar feels clunky after update

thom b 10 Reputation points
2025-08-28T20:09:32.4366667+00:00

Hello,

After the new KB5063842 update, my taskbar has a slight delay. When I have two tabs open and switch between them with the mouse, there is a noticeable delay, but alt-tabbing works flawlessly.

Same thing happens when I click show hidden icons via mouse on my taskbar.

I would also like to add that I have never had a problem with this.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Desktop, Start, and personalization | Task Bar
0 comments No comments

11 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. K3rnelPan1c5750 5 Reputation points
    2025-08-28T23:39:18.2433333+00:00

    Hi, I’ve been investigating this exact issue and here’s what I found:

    • The delay when opening the Start Menu on Windows 10 22H2 matches very high spikes in dxgkrnl.sys and dxgmms2.sys (the DirectX graphics kernel components).
    • I captured several traces with ETL/WPA, and the results are consistent: opening the Start Menu triggers extra DxgKrnl load, even without GPU drivers (just using the Basic Display Adapter).
    • In Safe Mode, the problem does not happen at all, maybe because DWM Composition works in a different way, idk.

    I believe the issue started after installing KB5063842 (August 2025, Cumulative Update Preview). Microsoft hasn’t listed this as a known issue yet, but everything points to that update changing how the Start Menu interacts with DWM/DxgKrnl.
    So far I’ve seen 3 or 4 people with this problem, and all of them were using an NVIDIA GPU. I don’t know if that’s related, but in my case it does not happen when using an AMD GPU.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. Lester Bernard Reyes 86,010 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-08-30T00:15:29.69+00:00

    Hi, thank you for replying. If the in-place upgrade is not an option for you, I recommend creating a new user:

    Go to Settings > Accounts > Other users > Add account

     

    Follow the prompts to create an account.

     

    Then go to Settings > Accounts > Other users > Select the account you created > Click "Change account type" then select "Administrator"

     

    Restart the PC and log in to the new account

     

    For reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/manage-user-accounts-in-windows-104dc19f-6430-4b49-6a2b-e4dbd1dcdf32

    If the issue persists and since the in-place upgrade is not an option for you, I suggest posting the issue on the feedback hub so that developers will also be aware of this problem, and hopefully the fix will apply as soon as possible.

    To send Feedback: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/send-feedback-to-microsoft-with-the-feedback-hub-app-f59187f8-8739-22d6-ba93-f66612949332

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. thom b 10 Reputation points
    2025-08-29T09:01:29.2566667+00:00

    Yes, I tested it in safe mode and it works perfectly! Also I have Nvidia GPU.

    I hope they fix it. Is it worth reporting somewhere or team is already aware?

    So for now, the only solution is to remove this update?

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. thom b 10 Reputation points
    2025-08-28T21:13:58.6933333+00:00

    Already done it with command method and there's few errors 0x80073D02, should I do it in safe mode? Was trying it in normal mode with restart but no luck so far.

    Also, what exactly does this command do?

    Btw, before updating the system, I downloaded the “widgets platform runtime" update from Microsoft Store, and after downloading it and updating system it started happening. I uninstalled it yesterday (widgets platform) but the problem remained.

    Are there any other ways to fix this issue besides an in-place upgrade?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  5. Lester Bernard Reyes 86,010 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-08-28T20:45:15.7166667+00:00

    Hi, I'm Bernard, a fellow Windows user. I'm happy to help!

    Since the issue only happens with the Taskbar, it seems that there is a corrupted system file on the Taskbar. In this case, kindly follow the steps below:

    Method 1. Repair Taskbar and Built-in apps:

    Press the Windows key + X, then select Terminal (Admin) or Windows PowerShell (Admin)

     

    Copy, paste, and enter the command below:

     Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

    Then hit Enter. Once the process is done, restart the PC and check.

    If the issue persists, I suggest doing an in-place upgrade, wherein it will update the device to the latest version and repair all issues without deleting any files.

     

    Note: before doing this, make sure to create a restore point:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/system-protection-e9126e6e-fa64-4f5f-874d-9db90e57645a

     

    1. Go to this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    2. Select Download Now, and select Run. You need to be an administrator to run this tool.
    3. On the License terms page, if you accept the license terms, select Accept.
    4. On the What do you want to do? page, select Upgrade this PC now, and then select Next.
    5. After downloading and installing, it should fix the issue.

     

    Reference: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

    Let me know how it goes, and I hope that helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.