URGENT COMPLAINT – Microsoft Account Suddenly Disappeared, OneDrive Access Lost, 2FA Enabled, and No Support Response After Almost Four Days

Mudassar Hafeez 0 Reputation points
2026-10-11T09:40:03.21+00:00

Subject: URGENT COMPLAINT – Microsoft Account Suddenly Disappeared, OneDrive Access Lost, 2FA Enabled, and No Support Response After Almost Four Days

I am extremely disappointed and frustrated with Microsoft's account recovery process and the complete lack of timely assistance for what should be treated as an urgent account-security incident.

My personal Hotmail account was working normally until 7 October 2026. On 8 October, I suddenly lost access, and Microsoft began displaying the message:

"That Microsoft account doesn't exist."

This is an account I have been using for 20 years. It has Microsoft Authenticator two-factor authentication (2FA) enabled, and I still have access to my registered recovery mobile number.

What is particularly concerning is that:

  • My original account is still listed in Microsoft Authenticator and continues generating six-digit verification codes.

I received no security notification, warning or request to approve changes to my account.

When attempting to access recent account activity, Microsoft unexpectedly redirects me to a completely unfamiliar Outlook email address.

Microsoft subsequently displays an "Account Switch Detected" error and asks me to sign in with my original Hotmail account.

Microsoft's normal recovery process continues telling me that my account does not exist.

I am now completely locked out of my OneDrive account and cannot access my important documents and files.

I have submitted multiple requests for account recovery and sought assistance through Microsoft's support channels. Almost four days have passed, and I have received no meaningful response or resolution.

My serious concerns about Microsoft's account recovery process

An account suddenly becoming inaccessible is not a minor inconvenience, particularly when that account is linked to important documents, cloud storage and potentially sensitive personal information.

For the affected customer, this is a digital emergency and should be treated with a level of urgency comparable to a critical security incident.

How can Microsoft expect customers to wait days for an email response when they are completely locked out of their accounts and cloud-stored information?

What happens if someone relies on OneDrive for business operations, contractual documents, financial records or other time-critical information?

The current process appears to offer no effective urgent escalation mechanism for an individual whose account has suddenly disappeared.

Repeatedly directing customers to the same automated recovery forms, particularly when those forms do not recognise the account, is not a meaningful solution.

I request specific answers from Microsoft

1. How can a Microsoft account that was working normally suddenly cease to exist, particularly when two-factor authentication was enabled?

2. Is it possible for an unauthorised person to change or remove the primary Hotmail sign-in alias without the account holder receiving a security notification? If so, what protections prevent this?

3. Why does Microsoft Authenticator still recognise my original account and generate verification codes when Microsoft's sign-in system claims the account does not exist?

4. Why am I being redirected to an unfamiliar Outlook account during the verification process? Could this indicate an unauthorised account change or an authentication-system error?

5. What is Microsoft's formal urgent escalation procedure when an account becomes inaccessible and the customer is locked out of OneDrive?

6. How can I protect and recover my OneDrive files while the account-access issue remains unresolved?

7. Why is there no readily accessible, timely human-assisted recovery process for customers experiencing a suspected account takeover?

8. What response time should customers reasonably expect for an account-security incident, and who is accountable when recovery requests remain unanswered for several days?

Action requested

I am asking Microsoft to:

Provide a clear escalation route to the appropriate account-security or recovery team.

Explain how I can establish whether my original account remains active, has been closed, or has experienced unauthorised changes.

Advise how I can verify ownership using my existing Microsoft Authenticator and registered recovery information.

Explain what steps are available to protect my OneDrive data while recovery is being investigated.

Provide a substantive response rather than another generic referral to the same recovery form that has already failed.

Microsoft promotes the security and reliability of its cloud services. However, security must include an effective, responsive account-recovery process when something goes wrong.

I am not asking Microsoft to bypass its security controls. I am asking for a meaningful, secure, human-assisted process to investigate an account that suddenly became inaccessible despite having two-factor authentication enabled.

Almost four days without meaningful assistance in these circumstances is unacceptable.

I would appreciate a response from a Microsoft representative or moderator who can identify the appropriate escalation procedure and explain the practical steps available to recover my account and OneDrive access.

Thanks
Mudassar

Sydney Australia

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy
0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.