Cancelling a subscription I keep getting bills for but no longer have access to

James Reyes 0 Reputation points
2026-10-10T17:20:48.26+00:00

I was using Azure, clicking around, and I did something to the users (no idea what) - I lost access to that subscription or workspace or something.

I had a little app running (nothing important) but I lost access to the subscription and I can't shut it off. I get about a $50 bill emailed every month and it's ok auto pay.

I am using Azure for other things now, but that subscription / resource group I no longer have access to.

What can I do to cancel / delete that app so I stopped being charged $50/mo for something I'm not using?

I tried the support stuff from Azure, just go around in circles with the automated stuff with no way to reach out to a human :(

Cost Management
Cost Management

A Microsoft offering that enables tracking of cloud usage and expenditures for Azure and other cloud providers.

0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. AI answer

    2026-10-10T17:21:00.6033333+00:00

    If the subscription is no longer visible or accessible, the supported path is to create an Azure billing/support request so ownership can be verified and the subscription can be canceled.

    Useful checks before opening the request:

    1. In the Azure portal, switch directories from the profile menu and check whether the missing subscription appears in another tenant.
    2. Search for Subscriptions in the portal and confirm whether the subscription is listed there.
    3. If the subscription is visible again, cancel it in Cost Management + Billing:
      • Go to Cost Management + Billing.
      • Select Subscriptions or Azure subscriptions.
      • Select the subscription.
      • Select Cancel.
      • If resources are shown, select Cancel subscription and, if required, Turn off resources.
      • Back up any data first, because turning off resources stops the services.
    4. After cancellation, the Delete option is not available immediately. It becomes available after 3 days for customer-led subscriptions or 7 days for field and partner channel subscriptions.
    5. If deletion is blocked because resources still exist, go to Subscriptions > subscription > Resources, use Manage view > Show hidden types, and delete any hidden resources.

    If the subscription never appears, or access was lost because of tenant/user changes, create a support request in the Azure portal. Azure billing support is the documented contact path for billing issues, and support can help with subscription cancellation when access is no longer available.


    References:

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.