Unable to change SharePoint site address despite being the site administrator

Dustin Walker 60 Reputation points
2026-10-06T21:14:39.9066667+00:00

Hi,

I'm trying to change the URL of one of my SharePoint sites by following the instructions in the Microsoft Learn article about changing a site address.

However, I'm unable to access the Active sites section in the SharePoint admin center. I receive an access/permission error when trying to open it.

The confusing part is that I created the SharePoint site and I'm listed as an administrator/owner of the site. I also have a Microsoft 365 Business subscription.

Is access to the SharePoint admin center required to change the site address, or is there another method I can use to rename the site's URL without access to the Active sites page?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Microsoft 365 and Office | SharePoint | For business | Windows

Answer accepted by question author
Jack-Bu 6,955 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
2026-10-06T21:44:02.6333333+00:00

Hi Dustin,

Thank you for sharing the details of your situation.

Being listed as a site owner or site administrator allows you to manage that specific SharePoint site, but it does not automatically provide access to the SharePoint admin center. Access to Active sites generally requires the SharePoint Administrator or Global Administrator role at the organization level.

Although the site address can also be changed through SharePoint Online PowerShell, that method still requires the appropriate administrative permissions.

If this is a work or organization account, please contact your Microsoft 365 Global Administrator or IT administrator and ask them to either:

  1. Assign you the SharePoint Administrator role, or
  2. Change the site address on your behalf.

In case you do not know who is your IT admin, kindly refer to this article: How do I find my Microsoft 365 admin? - Microsoft Support  

I hope this information helps move the case forward. Should you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please feel free to share them in the comment below. I'm very happy to help.  


If the answer is helpful, please click 'Yes' and kindly upvote it.  

Note: Follow the steps in the forum documentation to enable email notifications if you want to receive email notifications related to this topic.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.

0 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.