How to reset Authenticator for onmicrosoft.com account

Dermot Hennessy 0 Reputation points
2026-10-03T20:04:05.32+00:00

I got a new phone and the authenticator did not transfer across so when I login in with username and pwd to powerapps with onmicrosoft.com account the authenticator will not issue a challenge number.

I do not have an alternative method setup either as in text or mobile.

User's image

Please help. Thanks

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Chris-D 1,690 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-03T20:26:39.7+00:00

    Hi Dermot,

    I hope you're doing well. 

    Sorry to hear you're having trouble signing in to your Microsoft account. 

    From what you've described, it sounds like your Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) setup may need to be reset. This can sometimes happen after switching to a new device, replacing a phone, or reinstalling the Microsoft Authenticator app. Since your new device hasn't been registered yet, the authentication requests may still be linked to your previous device, which can leave you stuck in a sign-in loop. 

    Because you're using a work or school account, the MFA settings are managed by your organization's IT administrator. Unfortunately, this isn't something that can be reset from the user side. 

    I'd recommend reaching out to your organization's IT administrator and explaining that you're unable to sign in because Microsoft Authenticator was not transferred to your new phone, and you do not have an alternative verification method set up.

    You can specifically ask whether they can: 

    • Reset your MFA settings 
    • Require MFA re-registration 
    • Remove your existing Authenticator registration so you can set it up again 

    You may also want to share the following Microsoft article with them: Manage authentication methods for Microsoft Entra multifactor authentication - Microsoft Entra ID | … 

    If you are unsure who your IT administrator is, you can refer to this official Microsoft guide for assistance: How do I find my Microsoft 365 admin? - Microsoft Support    

    User's image Once your IT administrator resets your MFA registration, you should be able to sign in again and go through the Microsoft Authenticator setup process from the beginning, including scanning a new QR code on your device. 

    I hope this points you in the right direction. If you receive any updates from your IT team or run into any issues along the way, feel free to reply back with more details and I'll be happy to help further. 


    If the answer is helpful, please click "Yes" and kindly upvote it. If you have any extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".             

    Note: Please follow the steps in the forum documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.