URGENT – Sole Global Administrator Locked Out – MFA/Authenticator Reset Required

Pavan Sesham 0 Reputation points
2026-10-03T14:42:05.53+00:00

Hello Microsoft Support Team,

I need assistance recovering access to our Microsoft 365 Business tenant.

is our only administrator account with the required administrative permissions.

I am currently unable to access this account because of an MFA/authentication issue.

What is happening:

  • Microsoft Authenticator is no longer signed in/registered correctly for the administrator account.
  • When I attempt to sign in, Microsoft offers verification using my registered mobile number.
  • I successfully receive the SMS verification code.
  • After entering the correct verification code, Microsoft displays:

“We ran into a problem. Please go back and try again.”

Therefore, I cannot complete authentication or access the Microsoft 365 Admin Center.

We have another active user account in the same tenant and this account can sign in successfully. However, it is a standard user account and has no administrator role.

When this account attempts to access the Microsoft 365 Admin Center, Microsoft displays:

“Switch to an account that has permission – Your account doesn't have permission to view or manage this page in the Microsoft 365 Admin center.”

Therefore, there is currently no other administrator available in the tenant who can reset the MFA/authentication methods or restore administrative access.

I have already attempted to contact Microsoft Support but have not yet received assistance that has resolved the issue.

I need Microsoft to assist with recovery of the existing tenant and restoration of access to the administrator account. Please escalate this case to the appropriate Data Protection / Tenant Recovery team for a sole administrator lockout and MFA recovery.

I can provide proof of domain ownership, company information, subscription/billing information and any other verification required through a private/support channel.

Please advise how I can proceed with tenant ownership verification and recovery of the administrator account.

Important: I do not want to create a replacement tenant or remove the existing domain. I need access restored to the existing Microsoft 365 tenant.

Thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For business | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Ryan-N 16,095 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-03T16:00:40.1333333+00:00

    Hi Pavan,

    Welcome to the Microsoft Q&A forum.

    First of all, please understand that this is a forum where moderators and users share information and support one another. On this forum, moderators and users cannot directly transfer or escalate your case to the Data Protection team.

    I noticed that you mentioned that you had previously contacted the support team by phone. Could you please let me know whether you were able to successfully create a support ticket during that contact? If a support ticket was successfully created, please share the ticket information with me via Private Message.

    User's image

    At this time, there are two ways to contact the support team: create a support ticket or call the support number for your region.

    Since you mentioned that you do not want to create a trial tenant, if you were still unable to create a support ticket during your previous contact, I recommend contacting the support team again by phone and following the instructions below:

    1. When you are asked to provide your role, select or clearly state that your role is Global Administrator.
    2. In the description of your support request, mention the term AdminCenter.
    3. During the phone conversation, if you are asked whether there is another administrator, you can answer No. The call may then be transferred to a support agent who can create a service request.

     I hope this information is helpful.

    If you have any questions or need further assistance, please feel free to share them in the comments on this post so I can continue to support you.

    I look forward to continuing the conversation.


    If the answer is helpful, please click "Yes" and kindly upvote it.

    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.