BIOS update now locked out

RAATZ Ian 0 Reputation points
2026-09-28T00:24:41.9633333+00:00

Hi,

I just completed BIOS updates now I’m unable to sign into my computer. I have tried my computer password and Microsoft password. And also changed my Microsoft password. Please help.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. GsN5034 - IA 77,990 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-28T03:02:21.39+00:00

    Hello,

    1. What is the exact error message you see on the Windows Sign-in Screen?
    2. May I please know if you have signed in with a Microsoft account or a local account on the device?

    If you make major changes to your PC, such as installing a BIOS update or Future Windows Updates, Windows will ask you to reset your PIN or Password for Security reasons.

    If you have set up a Windows Hello PIN and it isn't working, select the "I forgot my PIN" option on the sign-in screen itself and follow the prompts to reset it.

    Likewise, if you have set up a password sign-in, try resetting the password from the Sign-in screen by selecting the 'I forgot my Password' option.


    If you aren't seeing the option to reset your PIN or Password on the sign-in screen, let me know the exact error message you see there now. (OR) Post a picture of the error message here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. AI answer

    2026-09-28T00:24:59.5933333+00:00

    A BIOS update can trigger a Windows Hello PIN reset because TPM-related data may change. Start with the sign-in method that matches the account on the PC:

    1. On the Windows sign-in screen, select Sign-in options.
      • If a PIN was used before, look for I forgot my PIN.
      • If the device uses a Microsoft account password, look for I forgot my password.
    2. If the PC signs in with a Microsoft account:
      • At the sign-in screen, select I forgot my password.
      • Or select Sign-in options > Web sign-in, then sign in and choose Forgot my password.
      • From another device or browser, the password can also be reset here: Reset password.
    3. If the Microsoft password was already changed but sign-in still fails:
      • Use the Sign-in Helper: Sign-in Helper
      • Avoid repeated sign-in attempts, because too many failed attempts can temporarily lock the account.
      • If the account was temporarily locked, wait at least 24 hours before trying again.
    4. If the device uses a local Windows account instead of a Microsoft account:
      • On the sign-in screen, select the arrow next to the password box.
      • Select OK > Reset password.
      • Answer the security questions for that local account.
    5. If Windows is showing the wrong profile after the BIOS update:
      • Restart and enter BIOS/UEFI.
      • Verify the correct system drive is first in the boot order.
      • Save changes and restart.
    6. If none of the reset options work:
      • Use Contact Support from Microsoft support.
      • Microsoft support cannot retrieve or bypass a lost password, and support agents cannot send password reset links or change account details.

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.