Wife passed away don't know password for windows

kate gould 0 Reputation points
2026-09-24T03:09:17.83+00:00

My wife Julie Ferguson- Gould dob 3/22/62 passed away 5/5/2018. I am wanting to sign on her computer and can't. All passwords failed. I need to save pictures and music from PC before I reformat it for myself. Please I need help I have tried going thru Microsoft account but it won't let me. We lived in california when laptop set up at (PII Removed) phone was (PII Removed). Thanks kate Gould (PII Removed).

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows Hello, lock screen and sign-in
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. GsN5034 - IA 77,990 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-24T03:56:04.2366667+00:00

    Hello,

    I'm very sorry for your loss. I understand that you are trying to access your late wife's computer so you can preserve her pictures and music before reformatting it.

    What happens when you try to reset the password? Is the verification code being sent to her recovery phone number or email address?

    Reset a forgotten Microsoft account password

    If you don't have the credentials for her account, you may need to seek legal guidance on how to access the account. Microsoft provides information about this process in the article linked here.

    If you need access to the account, seek legal guidance

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.