i lost my bit locker recovery key

reem eitouni 5 Reputation points
2026-09-21T17:42:37.3033333+00:00

good evening

I cannot access my Microsoft account and I cannot find my BitLocker recovery key. My laptop is locked by BitLocker, and I urgently need to recover my personal files. I have tried checking my Microsoft accounts, but I cannot find the recovery key. I need help recovering access to my account and finding my BitLocker recovery key without losing my files

i appreciate your help

Windows for home | Other | Recovery and backup
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Jonathan Deives 81,965 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-21T18:14:50.2833333+00:00

    This key is usually saved to your Microsoft account, a USB drive, or printed when BitLocker was first enabled.Please try signing in to your Microsoft account on another device and check:
    https://account.microsoft.com/devices/recoverykey

    If the key was saved there, you should be able to unlock your PC.

    If you used a work or school account, you may need to contact your organization’s IT administrator.

    Unfortunately, if the recovery key is not available, it won’t be possible to access the system because of BitLocker encryption. In this case, the only option is to format the hard drive and reinstall Windows.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. reem eitouni 5 Reputation points
    2026-09-22T06:10:47.78+00:00

    thank you for your advice but i lost the recovery key i can not find it

    i do not have the recovery key and i have very important folders and files.

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. reem eitouni 5 Reputation points
    2026-09-22T08:20:05.04+00:00

    thank you for your advice but i lost the recovery key i can not find it

    i do not have the recovery key and i have very important folders and files.

    i do not want to lose my files

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.