How to fix broken startup screen

lin l 0 Reputation points
2026-09-12T02:26:43.2233333+00:00

So my laptop won’t startup no matter what I do, after I deleted Microsoft from registry editor accidentally my laptop wasn’t the same and now all i’m getting is error messages? what can I do because nothing is helping my case i’m keep getting an recovery screen and then after an startup screen

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Recovery and backup
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. EmilyS726 270.5K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-09-12T03:03:55.3+00:00

    Since this started right after something was accidentally deleted from the registry, the first thing I would try is System Restore.

    From the Recovery screen, go to:

    Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Restore. Choose a restore point from before the registry change.

    If there is no restore point, or System Restore fails, try: Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Keep my files

    If you are given the choice, I would use Cloud download rather than Local reinstall, since we do not know exactly what was deleted or damaged.

    A reset should hopefully rebuild Windows and the registry, but there is no guarantee it will work if the recovery environment itself was also damaged.

    If Reset this PC also fails, the next step would be to create a Windows 10 installation USB from another computer and reinstall Windows.

    I would not start running "bootrec" or "chkdsk" commands recommended by the AI answer unless the Recovery screen is showing a specific boot, BCD, or disk-related error. Those commands do not restore registry entries that were deleted.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.