Edge Sync: MIP Service disabled on unmanaged O365 A1 tenant / Edge 同步:未托管 O365 A1 租户的 MIP 服务已禁用

YaoG722 0 信誉分
2026-08-25T05:30:07.3666667+00:00

English

I am unable to enable Microsoft Edge Enterprise Sync for an Office 365 A1 for students account.

Environment

Windows 11

Microsoft Edge 151

Microsoft Entra work/school account

Account created through Microsoft 365 Education self-service signup

Tenant is unmanaged/self-service and has no Global Administrator

I only control my university email account. I do not control the university email domain itself, so I cannot perform DNS-based admin takeover of the tenant.

License

My assigned license is:

Office 365 A1 for students

The enabled services under this license explicitly include:

Azure Rights Management

Microsoft's current Edge Enterprise Sync documentation states that O365 A1 or above and other EDU subscriptions support Edge Sync and include the required AIP/RMS entitlement.

I have attached a screenshot showing the assigned Office 365 A1 for students license and Azure Rights Management service.

Edge Sync error

edge://sync-internals shows the following under AAD Account Key Status:

MIP Result: Service disabled

Pack/Unpack Key Result: Key service disabled

Key Status: Empty

New Key State: Pending

Set Key Result: Success

I have attached a screenshot showing this status.

The account is correctly recognized by Edge as an AAD/work or school account.

There is also no SyncDisabled policy configured in edge://policy.

Troubleshooting already completed

I verified connectivity to the Microsoft Rights Management endpoint:

api.aadrm.com

DNS resolution and TCP port 443 connectivity both succeed. An HTTPS request reaches Microsoft's service and returns an HTTP 403 response with Microsoft headers, so the endpoint itself is reachable.

Therefore, this does not appear to be a basic DNS, proxy, TLS, or network connectivity issue.

I also tried:

Reset sync data from Microsoft servers

However, the reset remains stuck at 0%, and edge://sync-internals continues to report:

MIP Result: Service disabled

and:

Pack/Unpack Key Result: Key service disabled

Why this issue has now become much more disruptive

This Edge Sync issue appears to have existed for some time.

Previously, I could tolerate normal Edge Sync being unavailable because Edge Workspaces still synchronized independently across my devices. In practice, this meant that the feature I relied on most for my work workflow continued to function even though other Edge settings did not sync.

However, after Microsoft migrated Workspaces to the newer architecture that uses Edge Sync for Workspaces and Tab Groups, this is no longer the case.

My existing Workspaces were migrated to the new version, but because Edge Sync cannot be enabled for this account, Workspace synchronization between devices has stopped. Workspaces created or modified on one device are no longer available on my other devices.

This has turned what was previously a relatively minor limitation into a significant usability problem. Cross-device Workspaces are one of the most useful Edge features in my work workflow, so restoring Edge Enterprise Sync has now become important for continued use of the feature.

Similar issue

I found a recent Microsoft Q&A case involving a supported Microsoft 365 license where Edge also reported:

MIP Result: Service disabled

In that case, the discussion suggested that the tenant-level RMS service might not have been correctly provisioned, and the user's MIP status later changed to Success after the backend issue was resolved.

My situation is different in one important way: this is an unmanaged self-service Office 365 A1 tenant with no Global Administrator.

Because there is no tenant administrator, I cannot open a normal Microsoft 365 Admin Center support request or manually activate/configure RMS.

Question

Given that this account has a supported Office 365 A1 for students license and explicitly includes Azure Rights Management, does:

MIP Result: Service disabled

together with:

Pack/Unpack Key Result: Key service disabled

indicate that Microsoft Purview Rights Management / Azure RMS / MIP has not been correctly provisioned or activated at the tenant level?

If so, how can Microsoft Support check or reprovision RMS/MIP for an unmanaged self-service tenant that has no Global Administrator and cannot be taken over by the user because the user does not control the domain DNS?

I have already submitted this issue through Microsoft Edge's built-in feedback tool with diagnostic data and the relevant screenshots.

I would especially like to confirm whether this requires tenant-side RMS/MIP provisioning by Microsoft, rather than additional local Edge troubleshooting such as reinstalling Edge, clearing browser data, or recreating the profile.


中文补充

我使用的是通过 Microsoft 365 Education 自助注册获得的 Office 365 A1 for students 工作/学校账户。

这个账户所在的 Microsoft Entra tenant 属于 self-service/unmanaged tenant,没有 Global Administrator。我只有学校邮箱的使用权,并不拥有学校邮箱域名及其 DNS 管理权限,因此无法通过域名验证方式接管 tenant。

我的账户许可证明确包含:

Office 365 A1 for students

Azure Rights Management

但是 Edge 151 的 edge://sync-internals 显示:

MIP Result: Service disabled

Pack/Unpack Key Result: Key service disabled

Key Status: Empty

New Key State: Pending

edge://policy 中没有 SyncDisabled 策略。

我已经确认 api.aadrm.com 可以正常通过 DNS、TCP 443 和 HTTPS 访问,因此目前看起来并不是普通的网络连接问题。

我也尝试了:

“从 Microsoft 服务器重置同步数据”

但重置一直停留在 0%,MIP 状态也没有发生变化。

这个问题其实已经存在了一段时间。以前普通 Edge Sync 虽然不能使用,但旧版 Edge Workspaces 仍然可以在不同设备之间同步,因此对我的实际影响还可以接受。

但是微软将 Workspaces 迁移到新版架构后,Workspaces and Tab Groups 开始依赖 Edge Sync。现在由于这个账户无法启用 Edge Sync,我的工作区已经不能继续跨设备同步,在一台设备上创建或修改的 Workspace 无法在另一台设备上看到。

跨设备 Workspaces 是我日常工作流程中非常重要、也非常有用的 Edge 功能,因此这个原本尚可接受的问题现在已经明显影响实际使用。

我希望确认:

在已经拥有 Office 365 A1 for students + Azure Rights Management 的情况下,Edge 仍然显示 MIP Result: Service disabled 和 Key service disabled,是否意味着 Microsoft Purview Rights Management / Azure RMS / MIP 没有在 tenant 层正确 provision 或激活?

如果是,由于这个 unmanaged tenant 没有 Global Administrator,而我也无法通过学校域名 DNS 接管 tenant,应该通过什么方式让 Microsoft Support 检查或重新 provision 这个 tenant 的 RMS/MIP 服务?

我已经通过 Edge 内置反馈提交了相关诊断数据和截图。

目前我尤其希望确认,这是否属于需要微软处理的 tenant-side RMS/MIP provisioning 问题,而不是继续进行重装 Edge、清除浏览器数据或重建配置文件等本地排查。

Microsoft Edge | 个人资料、同步和登录 | Windows 11
0 个注释 无注释

你的答案

提问者可以将答案标记为“已接受”,审查方可以将答案标记为“已推荐”,这有助于用户了解答案是否解决了提问者的问题。