Exchange 2016 distribution group accepts messages from external senders

Евгений Котляревский 81 Баллы репутации
2026-09-30T12:03:28.1133333+00:00

Hi!
Today, I encountered Exchange behavior that I totally didn't understand.
I have a static distribution group, which has 'Only senders inside my organization' options enabled.
Following a complaint from one of the users I was checking message tracking logs for this group, and I found that despite the group configuration, it accepts almost all messages from external senders. Only few messages (6 from about 100 messages last month) has "Fail" evenid in tracking log (RecipientStatus = "{[{LED=550 5.7.133 RESOLVER.RST.SenderNotAuthenticatedForGroup; authentication required; Delivery restriction check failed because the sender was not authenticated when sending to this group};{MSG=};{FQDN=};{IP=};{LRT=}]}".
Why this happens?

Exchange | Exchange Server | Прочее
Exchange | Exchange Server | Прочее

Надежная платформа электронной почты, календаря и совместной работы, разработанная Microsoft, предназначенная для корпоративного общения и управления данными.Другие темы, которые не попадают под определенные категории.

Комментариев: 0 Без комментариев

1 ответ

Сортировать по: Самые старые
  1. Michelle Nguyen 1,835 Баллы репутации Независимый помощник
    2026-09-30T15:36:07.3633333+00:00

    Please note that this is the ru-ru forum. I kindly recommend posting your question in Russian so that more community members can assist you. Alternatively, you may consider posting in the English forum if you prefer to use your native language. I sincerely appreciate your understanding.

    Please note that Exchange 2019 reached End of Support on October 14, 2025. After this date, Microsoft no longer provides security updates, bug fixes, technical support, or time zone updates for this product.

    Hi @Евгений Котляревский

    Based on the information you provided, I understand that your static distribution group is configured with Only senders inside my organisation, but most messages originating from external senders are still accepted. Only a small number are rejected with 550 5.7.133 RESOLVER.RST.SenderNotAuthenticatedForGroup

    The important distinction is that Exchange does not enforce this restriction solely by looking at the visible From address or the sender’s domain. The setting corresponds to RequireSenderAuthenticationEnabled = True

    Based on the information I found, RequireSenderAuthenticationEnabled does not determine whether a sender is internal or external by comparing the sender’s email address with your organisation’s directory. Instead, Exchange determines the sender’s internal or external status based on the actual mail flow path. More specifically, it considers whether the SMTP session that delivered the message was authenticated, or whether the message travelled through a connector or route that Exchange trusts as internal. This applies regardless of the original sender’s actual email address.

    As a result, messages that are relayed through an intermediate system before reaching the distribution group may be treated by Exchange as authenticated, even if the original sender is external. From Exchange’s perspective, the final connection that delivered the message came through a trusted path. The message is therefore treated as authenticated because of the delivery connection, not because the sender’s address is considered internal.

    The six messages that failed with 550 5.7.133 RESOLVER.RST.SenderNotAuthenticatedForGroup indicate that the distribution group restriction is still working for messages that Exchange actually classifies as unauthenticated. The difference is therefore more likely to be in the inbound mail route or the authentication context assigned to each message, rather than in the distribution group itself.

    I suggest comparing the headers and message tracking data from one accepted external message with those from one rejected external message. In particular, check the following authentication-related headers:

    X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AuthAs
    X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AuthSource
    X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AuthMechanism
    

    The value of X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AuthAs can help determine whether Exchange recognised the message as internal or anonymous.

    Once you have identified the Receive Connector that processed the accepted messages, check its permission groups and authentication mechanism by using Exchange Management Shell:

    Get-ReceiveConnector "<ConnectorName>" |
    Format-List PermissionGroups,AuthMechanism
    

    You can also review the connector’s Security settings through ADSI Edit.

    If Anonymous Users is combined with extended permissions such as Accept Any Sender and Accept Authoritative Domain Sender, or if Externally Secured is enabled for a mail path that should not be trusted in this way, that connector configuration may be causing externally originated messages to be treated as authenticated.

    I hope this information helps.

    Этот ответ помог вам?


Ваш ответ

Автор вопроса может устанавливать для ответов пометку "Принято", а модераторы — пометку "Рекомендуется". Благодаря этому пользователям становится проще понять, какой из ответов помог решить проблему автора.