Receiving Microsoft verification codes for unknown app names — what exactly triggers these SMS?

Arlan Yessengaziyev 0 Баллы репутации
2026-09-08T21:03:38.62+00:00

I’ve received Microsoft SMS messages saying:

“Use verification code [code] for My Total Comp UAT authentication.”

and later:

“Use verification code [code] for clclouddev001 authentication.”
r/cybersecurity_help - Microsoft Text Message SMS Wednesday 6:11AM Use verification code My Total Comp UAT authentication: for Today 11:28 PM Use verification code for clclouddevO01 authentication: I did not initiate either request and I don’t recognize these application names.

I’m trying to understand the technical side:

  • Are My Total Comp UAT and clclouddev001 likely application/display names from Microsoft Entra/Azure authentication?
  • Does receiving this SMS mean someone manually entered my phone number into that application?
  • Could this happen because my number is already stored somewhere in an account or test environment?
  • Is there any way for me, as the recipient of the SMS, to identify which application/tenant generated the request?

I’m not asking whether my Microsoft account was hacked — I mainly want to understand what process causes Microsoft to send an SMS in this exact format.

Azure
Azure

Платформа и инфраструктура облачных вычислений для создания и развертывания приложений и служб, а также для и управления ими через глобальную сеть центров обработки данных, управляемых корпорацией Майкрософт.

Комментариев: 0 Без комментариев

Ваш ответ

Автор вопроса может устанавливать для ответов пометку "Принято", а модераторы — пометку "Рекомендуется". Благодаря этому пользователям становится проще понять, какой из ответов помог решить проблему автора.