Reactivating Windows 10 Pro After Replacing the Motherboard and Processor

vldmr 0 Баллы репутации
2026-09-04T18:15:50.7566667+00:00

Hello, I need help restoring Windows activation after a hardware upgrade.Situation: I replaced the motherboard and CPU on my PC. After the upgrade, Windows 10 Pro lost its activation. The license is a digital license that was previously linked to my Microsoft account (before the hardware change, the Activation settings showed "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account").

What I've already checked:

On account.microsoft.com/devices, I see two device entries: the old one (previous motherboard) and the new one (current motherboard) — both are the same physical PC, just with upgraded hardware.

There is no OEM key burned into the BIOS/UEFI (checked with wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey — empty result), confirming this is a retail/System Builder license originally activated through my Microsoft account, not an OEM key tied to the motherboard by a PC manufacturer.

When trying to reactivate via Settings → Activation → "I changed hardware on this device recently" while signed into my Microsoft account, I get error 0x803F7001.

I also tried phone activation (Installation ID via slmgr.vbs /dti) through the official extension activation page and the automated chat, but both responded that the installation ID could not be verified.

OS edition: Windows 10 Pro.

Request: Please have a licensing specialist manually verify my license and re-link the activation to my new hardware configuration under my Microsoft account.

Thank you.

Windows для дома | Windows 10 | Восстановление и резервное копирование
Комментариев: 0 Без комментариев

1 ответ

Сортировать по: Наиболее полезные
  1. EmilyS_726 30,260 Баллы репутации Модератор-волонтер
    2026-09-04T18:55:45.55+00:00

    Hello

    I want to point out a few things.

    1. Just becaue it is digital license doesn't mean it is retail license. The format of the license doesn't equal the type of the license.
    2. Did you run the wmic command before or after you changed motherboard? -If it is after the motherboard change, it doesn't prove anything. -If it is before, then it means no key was embedded in the license. It can be still an OEM license that's manually entered.

    You mentioned builder - If this was a custom-built computer and the builder charged you for Windows as part of the purchase, and assuming the builder gives you retail license, the builder is responsible for providing a properly licensed copy of Windows. For an OEM System Builder/COA license, Microsoft states that the COA (The sticker with the license key) must be affixed to the PC chassis. See this document: https://devicepartner.microsoft.com/en-us/communications/comm-licensing-faq

    I would contact the builder and ask them to provide or correct the Windows license. If they sold the computer as including genuine Windows but cannot provide evidence of the corresponding license, that should be resolved with the builder.

    However, if the builder used OEM-NSLP license, meaning, it is manually entered, not baked to the motherboard. It still is tied to the motherboard it is first used. Once motherboard changes, the license is gone. This rule doesn't change whether it is OEM or OEM-NSLP.

    Этот ответ помог вам?


Ваш ответ

Автор вопроса может устанавливать для ответов пометку "Принято", а модераторы — пометку "Рекомендуется". Благодаря этому пользователям становится проще понять, какой из ответов помог решить проблему автора.