I can’t log into my student account

Софія Ящур 20 Баллы репутации
2026-03-12T17:23:40.0066667+00:00

Student accounts have two-factor authentication enabled. The first time I registered, everything worked fine. After I deleted the app, everything also worked fine for some time. Then, one day, when I tried to access the Word Online website, it asked for a code that I was supposed to confirm, which was supposed to be sent to the Microsoft Authenticator app. Of course, I had deleted that app, so I decided to download it again, but no code arrived because my account was not saved in the app, and it asked me to sign into my account. I entered my account details into the Authenticator app again, and it asked for a code, but no code arrived. So I ended up in a loop. When I log in or register on the website, it asks for a code in the app, but the code doesn’t arrive because my account isn’t in the app. When I register in the app, no code arrives anywhere either. What should I do? I wrote to my IT manager, who is responsible for these student accounts. She sent me the login information again, a temporary password. I entered these new details into the Authenticator app, then changed the temporary password to a permanent one, and it again shows “Enter the verification code that will appear in the app.” And, of course, nothing arrives. Please help!

Microsoft 365 и Office | Word | Для образовательных учреждений | Windows
Комментариев: 0 Без комментариев

Ответ, принятый автором вопроса
Emily T 565 Баллы репутации Внешний персонал Microsoft Модератор
2026-03-12T18:57:03.07+00:00

Hi Софія Ящур,

Good day to you and thank you very much for taking the time to share the details of your situation.

From what you described, it seems that you are currently stuck in a multi‑factor authentication (MFA) loop because the Microsoft Authenticator app was removed from your device, while your account is still expecting verification through that previously registered method. I understand how inconvenient this can be, and I’m glad you reached out for guidance.

Additionally, I’d like to kindly share that this forum is a user‑to‑user support community. As a moderator, I do not have access to personal accounts or organizational configurations. Since your account is managed by your school, only your institution’s IT administrator has the appropriate permissions to reset your authentication methods.

With this in mind, the best next step is to contact your school’s IT administrator and ask them to reset your MFA methods. Once they complete that action, you will be able to sign in again and re‑register the Microsoft Authenticator app without any issues.

To make things easier, you can share these instructions directly with your IT administrator:

Steps for your IT Administrator to reset MFA methods for your account:

  1. Open the Microsoft 365 Admin Center, then select Identity from the left menu.
    Пользовательское изображение
  2. The page will automatically redirect to the Microsoft Entra Admin Center.
  3. Go to Users > All users.
  4. Find and select the affected user account. (your account)
    Пользовательское изображение
  5. Choose Authentication methods.
  6. Click *Require re‑register multifactor authentication.
    *Пользовательское изображение

Once this is done, your next sign‑in will prompt you to set up your verification method again, allowing you to reconnect the Microsoft Authenticator app smoothly.

To prevent similar issues, it is recommended not to uninstall the Microsoft Authenticator app from your phone. When the system needs additional verification after actions such as signing in from a new device or location, you will simply receive a prompt in the app. If the app is removed, you may not be able to complete the required verification, which can lead to the same type of sign in loop you experienced.
I truly hope this information helps you resolve the issue quickly. If you have any further questions or need more assistance, please feel free to reach out. I am always happy to help.

Wishing you a pleasant rest of your day.


If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment". 

Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread. 

 

Этот ответ помог вам?

Один пользователь счел этот ответ полезным.

Дополнительные ответы: 0

Сортировать по: Наиболее полезные

Ваш ответ

Автор вопроса может устанавливать для ответов пометку "Принято", а модераторы — пометку "Рекомендуется". Благодаря этому пользователям становится проще понять, какой из ответов помог решить проблему автора.