Question About Direct Word File Editing Support in Microsoft Copilot

Alexandr Tomilov 20 Баллы репутации
2026-01-28T17:22:32.7033333+00:00

Hello,

I would like to ask about the current and future capabilities of Microsoft Copilot.

Could you please let me know when Copilot is expected to support direct editing of Microsoft Word files, or deeper integration with applications that allow Word documents to be modified directly?

I would appreciate any information about the current development status of this feature or an estimated timeline for its availability.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Best regards ,[Moderator note: personal info removed]

Microsoft Copilot | Windows Copilot | Copilot+ PC
Комментариев: 0 Без комментариев

Ответ, принятый автором вопроса
Jess-Q 12,795 Баллы репутации Внешний персонал Microsoft Модератор
2026-01-29T15:00:10.1+00:00

I noticed that you’re using English in your posts on a Russia forum so I’ll continue in English, so my answer is as clear and helpful as possible. If you’d prefer me to switch to Russian just let me know and I’ll gladly do so.

Hi @Alexandr Tomilov

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Q&A forum.    

Based on what has been officially communicated so far, Microsoft already has an experience where Copilot works inside Microsoft Word to help create and refine content, including an interactive, conversational editing workflow. This is commonly described as “Agent Mode in Word” and it’s positioned as enabling document creation/editing through a more conversational and iterative experience. 

For more details, please refer to:  Agent Mode in Word

This feature may still be rolling out worldwide, and may be available first for Preview audiences (e.g., Frontier/Insiders) depending on your eligibility and tenant settings 

At this time, Microsoft has not published a confirmed public timeline stating that Copilot Chat alone will fully open and modify existing Word documents without transitioning into Word. For future updates or changes, I recommend monitoring the Microsoft 365 Roadmap, which is their official source for feature availability and rollout status: Microsoft 365 Roadmap

I hope this helps clarify what’s currently supported and what has publicly shared so far. 


Please understand that our forum is a public platform, and we will modify your question to cover your personal information including your full name in the description. Please notice to hide these personal information next time you post to protect personal data.

Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread. 

Этот ответ помог вам?

Комментариев: 0 Без комментариев

Дополнительные ответы: 2

Сортировать по: Наиболее полезные
  1. Alexandr Tomilov 20 Баллы репутации
    2026-01-29T17:37:44.8366667+00:00

    I would like to better understand how I can access the Copilot experience inside Microsoft Word that you described (Agent Mode / conversational editing).

    Could you please clarify:

    Which Microsoft 365 licenses or subscription plans are required for this feature?

    Does it require a work/school (organizational) account, or can it also be available for personal Microsoft accounts?

    Are there specific admin settings that need to be enabled in the tenant for Copilot in Word to appear?

    Is there a way for an end user to check whether this feature should already be available in their region/account?

    I want to make sure I’m not missing any configuration or eligibility requirements on my side.

    Thank you for your guidance.

    Этот ответ помог вам?


  2. Alexandr Tomilov 20 Баллы репутации
    2026-01-29T17:31:54.4633333+00:00

    Hello,

    Thank you for your detailed and clear explanation. I appreciate you taking the time to clarify the current capabilities of Copilot in Word and the rollout status of the features.

    I will keep an eye on the Microsoft 365 Roadmap for future updates.

    Thank you as well for the note about personal information — I understand and will be more careful in future posts.

    Best regards,

    Этот ответ помог вам?

    Комментариев: 0 Без комментариев

Ваш ответ

Автор вопроса может устанавливать для ответов пометку "Принято", а модераторы — пометку "Рекомендуется". Благодаря этому пользователям становится проще понять, какой из ответов помог решить проблему автора.