Problems with archiving tags in On-Prem Exchange 2019

User9183 20 Баллы репутации
2025-09-19T07:58:14.9133333+00:00

Hello everyone!

I've encountered a problem, or perhaps it's not a problem but a specific behavior of the archiving policy.

I created a new retention policy and included archiving tags in it.

I then applied this policy to a user, but unfortunately, the policy didn't work as expected, and the emails didn't move to the archive mailbox. This is because the user had a tag set to "Never move to archive." According to the user, this tag appeared on its own and they had never applied it.

Can someone tell me why this is happening, because the retention policy assigned to the user does not have the "Never move to archive" tag.

I checked the Managed Folder Assistant logs and did not see any errors. I also manually ran the commandlet Start-ManagedFolderAssistant -Identity <user mailbox> for the user, and it worked well.

The user's mailbox does not have a Retention Hold assigned to it, and the same information is displayed in OWA and Outlook.

I use Exchange 2019 in DAG configuration

If anyone has encountered a similar issue, I would appreciate any suggestions or solutions.

Thank you for your attention.

Exchange | Exchange Server | Прочее
Exchange | Exchange Server | Прочее

Надежная платформа электронной почты, календаря и совместной работы, разработанная Microsoft, предназначенная для корпоративного общения и управления данными.Другие темы, которые не попадают под определенные категории.

Комментариев: 0 Без комментариев

Ответы: 2

Сортировать по: Наиболее полезные
  1. User9183 20 Баллы репутации
    2025-09-29T08:35:07.7933333+00:00

    Hello! Thank you for sharing the solution information, however as I understand it, the problem may be that personal tags may be saved on mailbox folder items in Outlook, which ultimately results in no policy change on the folder, or it is a problem on the user's specific Outlook client

    Этот ответ помог вам?


  2. Анонимные
    2025-09-19T12:43:10.18+00:00

    Hi @User9183 
    Thank you for reaching out to Microsoft Learn Q&A!    

    Based on what you've shared, I understand that your retention policy doesn’t seem to be working as expected, possibly due to the use of personal tags. 

    From my research and testing in Exchange Online (though this may also partially apply to Exchange Server), I’ve found that the “Never move to archive” tag only takes effect when it is manually assigned in Outlook.

    undefined

    For example, I created a new retention policy that moves items to archive after 1 day. When I ran the command: 

    Get-Mailbox -Identity ******@domain.com| Select Name, RententionPolicy 
    

    The result was blank. However, in the Exchange Admin Center, I could clearly see that the policy was correctly applied under the Retention Policy section. 

    Пользовательское изображение

    To ensure the retention policy is applied, you’ll need to: 

    1. Change the tag to “Use parent folder policy.” 
    2. Run the following command to force synchronization: 
    Start-ManagedFolderAssistant –Identity user@domain
    

    This will trigger the retention processing and apply the correct policy. 

    It’s important to note that personal tags must be manually assigned to take effect.
    One possible reason for the issue is that the user may have accidentally applied a personal tag, such as “Never move to archive.” 

    Recommended next step: 
    You could ask the user to remove the 'Never move to archive' tag in Outlook by deleting it from the Retention Policy section. This should help avoid any accidental selection of that tag in the future. 

    undefined

    I hope this helps clarify your situation and guides you toward to a solution. Please know that while our initial response might not resolve the issue right away, your input is incredibly valuable. With a bit more detail, we’ll work together to find the best solution for you.  


    If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".         

    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread 

    Этот ответ помог вам?


Ваш ответ

Автор вопроса может устанавливать для ответов пометку "Принято", а модераторы — пометку "Рекомендуется". Благодаря этому пользователям становится проще понять, какой из ответов помог решить проблему автора.