Sole Global Administrator locked out by MFA, phone support unreachable – requesting Data Protection / tenant recovery escalation

Edwin Koutstaal 0 Reputatiepunten
2026-10-08T20:39:53.64+00:00

I am the only Global Administrator of a Microsoft 365 business tenant. I am locked out because of MFA and need my case escalated to the Microsoft 365 Data Protection / Tenant Recovery team.

Situation:

  • My only MFA method was Microsoft Authenticator on my previous iPhone. That phone was traded in and factory reset.
  • I restored Authenticator from iCloud backup on my new iPhone. The work account only appears as a connected account without verification codes. Sign-in requests still go to the old device.
  • No other MFA method (phone number, passkey, Temporary Access Pass) is registered. There is no second administrator.
  • My password is correct. Sign-in fails at the MFA step with error 500121.

What I have already tried:

  • Updating security info at mysignins.microsoft.com (requires MFA from the old device).
  • "Require re-register MFA" and adding a Temporary Access Pass from an existing admin session (blocked by MFA re-authentication).
  • Creating a second Global Administrator (blocked by MFA re-authentication; the account was never created).
  • Device code sign-in via Microsoft Graph PowerShell (blocked at the same MFA step).
  • Calling Microsoft business support three times. Each time I could not get past the voice assistant to a person.
  • Signing up for a Microsoft 365 trial tenant to open a ticket from there. The signup is still under review.

Possible security concern: I have also seen signs that someone may be trying to access my account: a password reset verification code I did not request, and a personal Microsoft account using my admin address as its username, with recovery email addresses I do not recognise.

I can provide tenant details, request IDs, correlation IDs and proof of ownership privately.

Could a moderator please escalate this to the Data Protection / Tenant Recovery team?

Thank you.

Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Teams voor Bedrijven | Overige

2 antwoorden

Sorteren op: Meest nuttig
  1. Edwin Koutstaal 0 Reputatiepunten
    2026-10-09T10:12:36.6866667+00:00

    Hi Emily,

    Thank you for your reply.

    The trial signup has been under review since [datum]. In the meantime my production tenant remains inaccessible, and I have seen signs of a possible account takeover attempt (an unrequested password reset code and an unknown personal Microsoft account using my admin address).

    Is it possible to escalate this case directly to the Data Protection / Tenant Recovery team, or to contact me via private message for verification details? I can provide the tenant ID, user ID, correlation IDs and proof of ownership privately.

    If the trial review is the only route: is there a way to speed it up or check its status?

    Thank you,

    Edwin

    Was dit antwoord nuttig?


  2. Emily T 660 Reputatiepunten Extern personeel Microsoft Moderator
    2026-10-08T21:47:57.3+00:00

    I will answer you in English based on your previous message. As a friendly suggestion, posting in Dutch may help your question reach a wider audience and increase the chances of receiving assistance from other community members.


    Hi Edwin,
    This commonly occurs after switching to a new device, replacing a phone, or reinstalling the Microsoft Authenticator app. Because of this change, authentication requests may still be associated with your previous device until the new device is properly registered, which can result in a sign-in loop.

    Regarding the Microsoft 365 trial tenant, I understand that you have already signed up for one so that you can open a support ticket, but the signup is currently still under review. Since the review is already in progress, the best course of action at this point would be to allow some time for it to be completed. Microsoft indicates that the review normally takes about one day, although in some cases it may take longer.

    In the meantime, I recommend monitoring the email address you used during signup for any updates or confirmation from Microsoft.

    Once the trial tenant is successfully created and activated, you can then submit a support request to Microsoft Support and seek further assistance with the MFA issue and account access.

    To create a support request:

    • Sign in to the Microsoft 365 admin center using a Global Administrator account for the trial tenant
    • Select Help & support from the navigation menu. 

     Afbeelding van gebruiker

    • Turn off the Support Assistant toggle at the top of the support pane. 

    Afbeelding van gebruiker

    • Enter a brief description of the issue, such as "OneDrive storage quota unexpectedly reduced to 10 GB". 
    • Choose the "Contact support".  

     Afbeelding van gebruiker

    • Follow the prompts to create a new service request and select the preferred contact method. 

    In the ticket, you’ll need to verify your ownership of the Microsoft 365 tenant with Microsoft’s Data Protection Team. This verification process typically requires providing the following documentation: 

    • Proof of domain ownership, such as access to manage DNS records 
    • Billing or subscription information, including payment methods or account history 
    • The Tenant ID of the affected Microsoft 365 organization 
    • Official business registration documents 
    • Documentation confirming you are an authorized signatory for the business 

    I know being locked out of the only admin account can be stressful, but contacting the Data Protection team is the correct path forward in this scenario.

    I hope these steps help you create a support ticket successfully and move closer to regaining access to your administrator account. While I’m not able to intervene directly, guiding you to the right support team is the most effective help I can provide here. 

    Hope you're able to get this resolved soon.

    Was dit antwoord nuttig?

    0 opmerkingen Geen opmerkingen

Uw antwoord

Antwoorden kunnen worden gemarkeerd als 'Geaccepteerd' door de auteur van de vraag en 'Aanbevolen' door moderators, zodat gebruikers het antwoord van de auteur kunnen weten.