Only Global Administrator locked out after losing Microsoft Authenticator access

tobias Horst 0 Reputatiepunten
2026-06-14T14:55:08.89+00:00

Hello,

I am the only Global Administrator of a Microsoft 365 Nonprofit tenant.

Unfortunately, I no longer have access to Microsoft Authenticator, which is the only MFA method configured on my administrator account. Because of this, I cannot sign in to the Microsoft 365 Admin Center.

I still have access to:

The domain name

DNS management

The organization's email accounts

What is the correct recovery procedure for a tenant where the only Global Administrator has lost access to the Microsoft Authenticator app and no alternative MFA methods are available?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Kind regards, Tobias Horst

Microsoft 365 en Office | Abonnement, account, facturering | Anders | Anders
0 opmerkingen Geen opmerkingen

1 antwoord

Sorteren op: Oudste
  1. Sumit 44,616 Reputatiepunten Vrijwillige moderator
    2026-06-14T17:37:22.01+00:00

    Hi,

    https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2026/03/how-to-reset-microsoft-mfa.html

    The first step you need to take is to get the contact number for the country using this Microsoft support document.

    Customer service phone numbers – Microsoft Support

    Once you have done that, call the number. See the extensive details on how to reach a Human:

    Navigating the Support IVR — Step-by-Step

    When you call Microsoft support to reset Microsoft MFA or resolve a forgot password for a Microsoft 365 issue, follow these IVR prompts:

    • Wait out the intro — You may hear a ~30-second automated introduction (e.g., “you can visit the link…”). Ignore it and wait for the menu options.
    • Press 1 — Select yourself as a business email user
    • Press 1 again — Choose technical help

    Automated IVR Conversation Guide

    In some regions, the initial interaction is fully automated. Use these answers to navigate it:

    • “What kind of problem are you experiencing?” → Answer: Authenticator
    • “What products do you use?” → Answer: Office 365 for Business
    • “Is this for an education or company account?” → Answer: For companies
    • “Are you an administrator?” → Answer: Yes
    • “Are there any other administrators in your organisation?” → Answer: No — I am the only admin in my tenant
    • “Do you need a service request?” → Answer: Yes. I need to create a ticket. Please send me directly to the Data Protection Team.“Do you need a service request?” → Answer: Yes. I need to create a ticket. Please send me directly to the Data Protection Team.

    Was dit antwoord nuttig?

    0 opmerkingen Geen opmerkingen

Uw antwoord

Antwoorden kunnen worden gemarkeerd als 'Geaccepteerd' door de auteur van de vraag en 'Aanbevolen' door moderators, zodat gebruikers het antwoord van de auteur kunnen weten.