Brightness issue when streaming video and HDR is enabled

Anoniem
2023-01-02T21:51:15+00:00

Hi there,

Me and some friends have all noticed that whenever we have HDR enabled on our display, and we are using different applications such as: Microsoft Teams, Discord, Zoom etc to share our screen that has HDR enabled, that the brightness of the screen becomes way to high for the person viewing the stream.

This happens on the latest version of windows 11 on multiple different computers with the exact same settings. So the issue is reproducible.

Below you will see a screenshot of someone viewing the screen that they are sharing on the right, and the screen that they themselves are viewing on the left (screenshot).

This issue does not happen when using recording software such as OBS or graphics drivers to record the screen. Nor does it happen when taking screenshots. The only moment this is an issue is when different applications are sharing their screen with other users. So there is probably some sort of underlying SDK that has issues with HDR.

Does anyone know if this is a known problem at microsoft and whether there is a workaround for the problem, or whether there is anyone looking into this? Can we expect a windows update to solve this problem?

Yours sincerely,

Hylke

Windows voor thuisgebruik | Windows 11 | Weergave en graphics

Vergrendelde vraag. Deze vraag is gemigreerd vanuit de Microsoft Ondersteuning-community. U kunt met een stem aangeven of de inhoud nuttig is, maar u kunt geen opmerkingen of antwoorden toevoegen of de vraag volgen.

0 opmerkingen Geen opmerkingen

7 antwoorden

Sorteren op: Oudste
  1. Anoniem
    2023-01-03T01:12:18+00:00

    Hi Hylke,

    My name is Cindy. I am sorry you are having this problem. I know it is really frustrating. I will do my best to help you with this problem.

    I have attached a link below that explains this problem in detail and some solutions.

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/...

    Best Wishes,

    Cindy

    Was dit antwoord nuttig?

    1 persoon vond dit antwoord nuttig.
    0 opmerkingen Geen opmerkingen
  2. Anoniem
    2023-01-03T10:36:02+00:00

    Dear cindy,

    I've read the microsoft answer you've linked but don't see a resemblance between the two topics. In my specific use case this is about windows 11 on pc only, and I've tested this with 3 different screens on 3 different computers all exhibiting the exact same symptoms I've described.

    these are the steps to reproduce my issue:

    • have windows 11 correctly setup with all of your drivers including graphics (doesn't matter whether on amd or nvidia)
    • connect a hdr display and turn on hdr under display settings in the settings app
    • start a call with someone in your favourite conferencing software such as microsoft teams, discord, zoom
    • start sharing your hdr enabled screen to the other party you are conferencing with.
    • the other party now sees a high brightness compared to what you see on your screen, making things hard to see on the screen share.

    You can try this with the latest version on windows 11 with any hdr capable monitor and any graphics card.

    Hopefully this explains my situation more thoroughly.

    Yours sincerely,

    Hylke

    Software Engineer

    Was dit antwoord nuttig?

    0 opmerkingen Geen opmerkingen
  3. Anoniem
    2023-01-03T20:06:27+00:00

    I am out of ideas on how to fix this problem. I would like to ask other in this community forum to see if they have a solution.

    Happy New Year,

    Cindy

    Was dit antwoord nuttig?

    0 opmerkingen Geen opmerkingen
  4. Anoniem
    2023-01-05T15:51:12+00:00

    Thank you for trying to help out, I do appreciate it Cindy.

    Happy new year to you too.

    I just hope some microsoft official will pick this up at some point, as it is a reproducible bug in their operating system...

    I don't know what draws their attention to problems like these over the plethora of user generated issues posted daily.

    I've used the report feedback button with diagnostics in windows 11. So that solution hasn't beared any fruits as of yet.

    Was dit antwoord nuttig?

    0 opmerkingen Geen opmerkingen
  5. Anoniem
    2023-01-06T07:08:05+00:00

    Hello Hylke. I'm Greg, here to help you with this.

    This is a basic peer user forums sponsored by Microsoft where users try to help others with problems. So Microsoft will not even see this here.

    If you'd like to report this as a bug to Microsoft using the Feedback Hub app in Start Menu where developers are tasked to process consumer feedback. They will not even see it here. Microsoft developers DO read feedback from customers that comes in via the Feedback Hub, so that is a great way to share your thoughts on how to better serve you as a customer.

    Also, the Display driver is so important that merely updating it might not be enough. Try everything here to make sure:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

    There are also brightness issues reported with Windows 11 HDR here:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hdr...

    https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/co...

    https://www.theverge.com/23389674/microsoft-win...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPUqTnTbxOE&amp...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v...

    I hope it helps. Feel free to ask any questions.

    ______________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was dit antwoord nuttig?

    0 opmerkingen Geen opmerkingen