Azure Database for PostgreSQL flexible server: Performance degradation — Root cause investigation

Roel-6871 0 Reputatiepunten
2026-10-05T07:47:02.1433333+00:00

Problem description

I am experiencing severe performance issues with my Azure Database for PostgreSQL flexible server. Specifically, I observe that an INSERT operation takes approximately 1500 ms on my original server, while a freshly restored copy of the server handles the same workload in about 5 ms. The slow server shows high I/O read times, about 1280 ms for four index pages, whereas the restored server performs normally. I have already verified that resource utilization metrics like CPU and IOPS are well below limits, and configuration parameters are identical between the servers. I suspect the issue is related to underlying hardware degradation or host-level throttling affecting the original server.

Environment

Azure Database for PostgreSQL flexible server; Server type: Flexible server; Region: Not specified; Server tier: Standard_B2s; PostgreSQL version: Not specified.

What I've already tried

I have synchronized configurations and restarted the original server multiple times. I also compared resource metrics, confirmed no resource exhaustion, and verified that the server parameters are identical. Additionally, I performed a fast restore to create a comparison server, which demonstrates the performance gap. I have ruled out storage throttling and database bloat through metrics and checks. I have not attempted to change the server tier or move the workload to a different server.

Current status

The issue persists with the original server remaining significantly slower than the restored comparison server. Based on the evidence, the root cause appears to be a hardware or host-level degradation affecting the original server. I seek assistance from a backend engineer to investigate the physical host, I/O controller, and storage path of the original server to identify any underlying infrastructure issues.

Community Center | Niet bewaakt
0 opmerkingen Geen opmerkingen

Uw antwoord

Antwoorden kunnen door de auteur van de vraag worden gemarkeerd als Geaccepteerde antwoorden, zodat gebruikers weten met welk antwoord het probleem van de auteur is opgelost.