Windows 11 25H2 switches keyboard layout when password field receives focus

A J 0 Reputatiepunten
2026-08-20T11:41:15.5533333+00:00

Hello,

I am experiencing a very specific keyboard-layout problem on a clean installation of Windows 11 Pro 25H2.

System

  • HP ZBook Fury 15.6" G8 Mobile Workstation

Windows 11 Pro

Version 25H2

OS Build 26200.9168

Dutch (Netherlands)

Keyboard layout: United States International

The problem

On the Windows sign-in screen, the keyboard layout is initially correct.

Before selecting the password field:

NLD / United States International

Immediately after clicking/selecting the password field:

NLD / NLD (Dutch)

This happens every time.

Because I use the US International layout, I cannot reliably enter my password until I manually switch the layout back to NLD / US International.

After I log in, the keyboard layout is correct again.

Important diagnostic information

This is not specific to my Microsoft account or my user profile.

I created a completely separate local Windows account, with no Microsoft account connected to it. The exact same behaviour occurs there:

keyboard correct before selecting the password field;

switches to NLD/NLD when the password field receives focus;

after logging in, the keyboard is correct again.

I have also already checked:

Windows display language: Dutch (Netherlands)

Region: Netherlands

Keyboard layout settings

Welcome/sign-in screen settings using Region > Administrative > Copy settings

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout\Preload

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Keyboard Layout\Preload

The registry was tested and restored to its original state. None of this changed the behaviour.

Windows and HP drivers are fully updated, and the problem still occurs on build 26200.9168.

What makes this particularly interesting

The layout does not change when Windows starts.

It is already correct on the sign-in screen.

It changes specifically when the password credential field receives focus.

Because the same behaviour occurs with a completely independent local account, I believe this points to the Windows sign-in / credential provider / Logon UI layer, rather than to a Microsoft account or user profile.

My question

Has anyone seen this exact behaviour on Windows 11 25H2?

More specifically:

What component determines or overrides the keyboard layout when the Windows password credential field receives focus, and why would it switch from US International to Dutch at that exact moment?

I am not looking for the usual suggestions to add/remove keyboard layouts or copy the language settings. Those have already been checked and tested.

Any insight from someone familiar with the Windows sign-in/credential-provider layer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!Title: Windows 11 25H2 switches keyboard layout when password field receives focus

Hello,

I am experiencing a very specific keyboard-layout problem on a clean installation of Windows 11 Pro 25H2.

System

HP ZBook Fury 15.6" G8 Mobile Workstation

Windows 11 Pro

Version 25H2

OS Build 26200.9168

Dutch (Netherlands)

Keyboard layout: United States International

The problem

On the Windows sign-in screen, the keyboard layout is initially correct.

Before selecting the password field:

NLD / United States International

Immediately after clicking/selecting the password field:

NLD / NLD (Dutch)

This happens every time.

Because I use the US International layout, I cannot reliably enter my password until I manually switch the layout back to NLD / US International.

After I log in, the keyboard layout is correct again.

Important diagnostic information

This is not specific to my Microsoft account or my user profile.

I created a completely separate local Windows account, with no Microsoft account connected to it. The exact same behaviour occurs there:

keyboard correct before selecting the password field;

switches to NLD/NLD when the password field receives focus;

after logging in, the keyboard is correct again.

I have also already checked:

Windows display language: Dutch (Netherlands)

Region: Netherlands

Keyboard layout settings

Welcome/sign-in screen settings using Region > Administrative > Copy settings

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Keyboard Layout\Preload

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Keyboard Layout\Preload

The registry was tested and restored to its original state. None of this changed the behaviour.

Windows and HP drivers are fully updated, and the problem still occurs on build 26200.9168.

What makes this particularly interesting

The layout does not change when Windows starts.

It is already correct on the sign-in screen.

It changes specifically when the password credential field receives focus.

Because the same behaviour occurs with a completely independent local account, I believe this points to the Windows sign-in / credential provider / Logon UI layer, rather than to a Microsoft account or user profile.

My question

Has anyone seen this exact behaviour on Windows 11 25H2?

More specifically:

What component determines or overrides the keyboard layout when the Windows password credential field receives focus, and why would it switch from US International to Dutch at that exact moment?

I am not looking for the usual suggestions to add/remove keyboard layouts or copy the language settings. Those have already been checked and tested.

Any insight from someone familiar with the Windows sign-in/credential-provider layer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Windows voor thuisgebruik | Windows 11 | Accounts, profielen en aanmelden
0 opmerkingen Geen opmerkingen

Uw antwoord

Antwoorden kunnen door de auteur van de vraag worden gemarkeerd als Geaccepteerde antwoorden, zodat gebruikers weten met welk antwoord het probleem van de auteur is opgelost.