Exporting a word.docx to PDF with lossless image compression on Mac 2026

Max 0 Reputatiepunten
2026-05-25T12:51:25.4+00:00

Hi all,

I have the following problem. I want to convert my thesis, a word '.docx' file, to PDF without loss of image quality. Unfortunately, I have not found a way to do so (without losing the cross-references links). I have Microsoft 365 on MacOS Tahoe 26.4. Additionally, I also have access to Acrobat Pro, as well as to a windows PC if really necessary (i.e., if only a windows solution is available). The images themselves are high quality inside word, but the problem only occurs upon conversion to PDF. I have already tried several solutions/settings suggested online, such as:

  • Save as PDF in Mac printer menu (→ loss of cross-references)
  • High fidelity + do not compress is selected in word settings → still loss of quality
  • I have tried Acrobat PDF conversion online → loss of quality
  • I have tried Acrobat PDF conversion on Mac → loss of quality
  • I have tried LibreOffice export → loss of cross-references and formatting issues

If you have any suggestions, please let me know; I am desperately in need for a solution!

Best,

Max

Microsoft 365 en Office | Word | Overige | macOS
0 opmerkingen Geen opmerkingen

1 antwoord

Sorteren op: Meest nuttig
  1. Jayden-P 26,280 Reputatiepunten Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-05-25T13:46:00.6733333+00:00

    Please note that this is the nl-nl forum. We kindly recommend posting your question in Dutch so that more community members can assist you. Alternatively, you may consider posting in the English forum (en-us) if you prefer to use your native language. We sincerely appreciate your understanding.  

    Hi @Max

    I have tested Save as PDF in Mac printer menu and it does not preserve cross references.

    If you have Word on Windows, you can try the built-in export feature: Save or convert to PDF or XPS in Office Desktop apps - Microsoft Support

    In File > Export > Create PDF > Options.

    Afbeelding van gebruiker

    Make sure you tick Create bookmarks with Headings. And do not tick Optimize for image quality.

    Afbeelding van gebruiker

    Please try and let me know if it works for you. If not, we can figure out another approach.


    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    Was dit antwoord nuttig?


Uw antwoord

Antwoorden kunnen door de auteur van de vraag worden gemarkeerd als Geaccepteerde antwoorden, zodat gebruikers weten met welk antwoord het probleem van de auteur is opgelost.