Issue with print-screen shortcut opening the snipping tool + closing the program I'm in

Isa 0 Reputatiepunten
2026-03-11T20:20:54.05+00:00

Exactly what the title says. Just bought a new laptop, a Lenovo LOQ, and whenever I try to take a screenshot while also in a game tab, the snipping tool pops up and takes me out of the game. No matter if I click the X button or the full-screen button of the snipping-tool pop-up, it always closes the game tab I was in.

I've seen people say you can close this in settings, so I went to settings > bluetooth and devices > keyboard > [translated from Dutch] 'Use the print-screen button to open screen-record [snipping tool program]' > turn if off.

I'm aware that for many the relevant button is in the settings > accessibility tab, but for me it's at the bluetooth part.

In any case; I turned it off, and yet it STILL keep popping up. I even deleted the snipping tool application, but I still get those 4 options at the top of my screen, essentially freezing or closing the page I was on. It's incredibly annoying, and ruins some game experiences when I am now unable to make screenshots during fast-paced cutscenes, as it closes/minimizes the whole game on my screen. The few seconds it takes for me to click the game open again make is so that I missed parts of the cutscene, and sometimes even have it freeze, making me have to fully close the game and reload again.

Is there a different way to simply have the print-screen shortcut button on my keyboard make a printscreen without any fanfare? So; no pop-ups, no tools opening, no closing of the program I was on?

If relevant: my pc is the Lenovo LOQ 15IRX10 83JE004VMH, with windows 11.

I really hope someone here knows a solution!

[Written in English to widen the scope of possible answers :) ]

Windows voor thuisgebruik | Windows 11 | Instellingen
0 opmerkingen Geen opmerkingen

1 antwoord

Sorteren op: Meest nuttig
  1. Anoniem
    2026-04-15T00:48:23.5933333+00:00

    Disclaimer: you're posting on a Netherlands locale forum and using another language, therefore I will engage using the same language as the original post. Thank you for your understanding. 

    Hello Isa,

    I understand how frustrating this is, especially when you’re in a full‑screen game and a single key press disrupts or even closes what you’re doing. Before we go further, could you confirm whether a hardware layer is involved:

    • When you press Fn + Print Screen, does the same Snipping overlay appear?

    Use “Windows logo key + Print Screen” instead of Print Screen alone

    • This silently captures the full screen
    • Automatically saves to: Pictures > Screenshots
    • Does not open Snipping Tool
    • Works reliably in games

    Please verify these without changing multiple things at once:

    1. Restart Windows once after changing the Print Screen setting (Required for shortcut remapping to fully apply)
    2. Confirm the toggle is OFF here: Settings > Bluetooth & devices > Keyboard > “Use the Print Screen key to open screen capture”
    3. Test Windows key + Print Screen inside a game

    If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".    

    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    Was dit antwoord nuttig?


Uw antwoord

Antwoorden kunnen door de auteur van de vraag worden gemarkeerd als Geaccepteerde antwoorden, zodat gebruikers weten met welk antwoord het probleem van de auteur is opgelost.