Critical: OneDrive Automatically Deleting Files in Real-Time Without Any Device Sync

Essam Amhimed 20 Reputatiepunten
2026-02-28T00:12:08+00:00

Hello,

I am experiencing a critical ongoing issue with OneDrive where my files are being automatically deleted in real time without my permission.

This is NOT a normal missing files situation.

Important facts:

  • My PC is turned OFF and not in use
  • Phone synchronization is completely disabled
  • Only ONE Microsoft account is connected
  • Files are being deleted directly from OneDrive cloud storage
  • The deleted files appear in the OneDrive Recycle Bin
  • After restoring my OneDrive to a previous date, the deletions start again automatically
  • My storage size keeps fluctuating up and down by 30–40 GB repeatedly

This means the deletion is happening server-side or through an internal sync loop, not from any active device.

Additionally, my previous support case ([Moderator note: personal info removed]) was marked as closed multiple times while the issue is still ongoing, and I am only receiving standard template responses instead of a real technical investigation.

I am at risk of continuous permanent data loss (personal photos and videos).

My main questions:

  1. Can OneDrive automatically delete files without device usage?
  2. Could this be a server-side sync loop or account activity issue?
  3. How can I stop ongoing automatic deletions inside OneDrive storage?
  4. Can Microsoft review account deletion logs internally?

I urgently need escalation to a technical specialist because the deletions are still happening even after restore.

Thank you.

[Moderator note: personal info removed]

Microsoft 365 en Office | OneDrive | Anders | Anders

1 antwoord

Sorteren op: Meest nuttig
  1. Essam Amhimed 20 Reputatiepunten
    2026-02-28T01:34:40.41+00:00

    Hello,

    Thank you for your reply and the clarification. Here is the requested information:

    My account is a personal OneDrive account (hotmail.com)

    Devices: Windows 11 PC (currently turned off) and Samsung S22 (Android)

    Impact: The deletions happen randomly across the entire OneDrive, mostly affecting photos and videos, but not limited to a single folder or file type

    There are no organizational policies or retention rules; this is a personal account only

    I understand that as a community moderator, you do not have access to internal logs, but I hope this information can help guide Microsoft Support to escalate my case and investigate the cause of the automatic deletions.

    Thank you again for your help.

    Kind regards,

    Was dit antwoord nuttig?


Uw antwoord

Antwoorden kunnen door de auteur van de vraag worden gemarkeerd als Geaccepteerde antwoorden, zodat gebruikers weten met welk antwoord het probleem van de auteur is opgelost.