Why can I download individual files, but not folders from OneDrive?

Anoniem
2024-01-15T09:59:10+00:00

I want to download a large number of files and folders from previous research projects, to back-up locally and remove from OneDrive as the projects are finished. Most folders contain maybe two or three PDFs, nothing weird.

I can select a folder or multiple folders, select download, and than see an indicator in my browser (Microsoft Edge) that the download has started, but even after letting downloads run all night, the folders still haven't downloaded.

Strangely, when I open an individual file in OneDrive in my browser, select download there, the file downloads almost instantly.

Please help, because at this pace I'm going to have to manually open thousands of files.

Microsoft 365 en Office | OneNote | Overige | macOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 opmerkingen Geen opmerkingen

3 antwoorden

Sorteren op: Meest nuttig
  1. Anoniem
    2024-01-16T07:55:04+00:00

    Thanks, Nienke. You got a good point.

    I have been a Windows user all these years, so I use something like IDM to download files quickly to be honest. Maybe you can try finding a download manager for Mac, that accelerates the downloads?

    Was dit antwoord nuttig?

    0 opmerkingen Geen opmerkingen
  2. Anoniem
    2024-01-15T12:26:31+00:00

    Hi Sumit,

    Thank you for your explanation.

    I can't use that feature yet, because I've recently moved to a new laptop, passed my old one on, but forgot to log out of OneDrive on the old device. As I have a number of folders marked as 'always keep on this device' on the old device, but not all of them, that is going to completely mess up my folders, triggering multiple duplicates (I've had that happen before), should I install OneDrive on the new one.

    I will be able to rectify this in a few weeks time, and its not a security risk; I just want to move these folders to an external offline storage at the physical location I'm currently at. Which is why I need to download the folders from the OneDrive used in browser.

    Thank you,

    -Nienke

    Was dit antwoord nuttig?

    0 opmerkingen Geen opmerkingen
  3. Anoniem
    2024-01-15T10:39:03+00:00

    Hi, I am Sumit, and I will gladly assist you today. Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

    Is there a reason why you are not using a Onedrive for Mac app to download files using FOD? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/save-disk-space-with-onedrive-files-on-demand-for-mac-529f6d53-e572-4922-a585-e7a318c135f0

    Here are the steps to download all files using Files On-Demand for Mac:

    1. Open the OneDrive app on your Mac.
    2. Click on the OneDrive icon in the menu bar and select "Preferences".
    3. In the "Account" tab, check the box next to "Files On-Demand".
    4. Click "OK" to save the changes.
    5. Navigate to the OneDrive folder on your Mac.
    6. Right-click on the folder you want to download and select "Always keep on this device".
    7. The folder and its contents will now be downloaded to your Mac.

    Note: If you want to download all files in your OneDrive account, you will need to repeat step 6 for each folder in your OneDrive account.

    Also check: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-onedrive-blog/updates-to-files-on-demand-on-macos/ba-p/3207503

    Was dit antwoord nuttig?

    0 opmerkingen Geen opmerkingen