Brightness issue when streaming video and HDR is enabled

Anoniem
2023-01-02T21:51:15+00:00

Hi there,

Me and some friends have all noticed that whenever we have HDR enabled on our display, and we are using different applications such as: Microsoft Teams, Discord, Zoom etc to share our screen that has HDR enabled, that the brightness of the screen becomes way to high for the person viewing the stream.

This happens on the latest version of windows 11 on multiple different computers with the exact same settings. So the issue is reproducible.

Below you will see a screenshot of someone viewing the screen that they are sharing on the right, and the screen that they themselves are viewing on the left (screenshot).

This issue does not happen when using recording software such as OBS or graphics drivers to record the screen. Nor does it happen when taking screenshots. The only moment this is an issue is when different applications are sharing their screen with other users. So there is probably some sort of underlying SDK that has issues with HDR.

Does anyone know if this is a known problem at microsoft and whether there is a workaround for the problem, or whether there is anyone looking into this? Can we expect a windows update to solve this problem?

Yours sincerely,

Hylke

Windows voor thuisgebruik | Windows 11 | Weergave en graphics

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 opmerkingen Geen opmerkingen

7 antwoorden

Sorteren op: Nieuwste
  1. Anoniem
    2023-01-06T21:42:29+00:00

    Dit antwoord is automatisch vertaald. Als gevolg hiervan kunnen er grammaticale fouten of vreemde formuleringen zijn.

    Hoe is het "duidelijk" wat je hebt geprobeerd? Ik weet dit niet, tenzij je me vertelt wat je hebt geprobeerd. De gemiddelde gebruiker heeft niets geprobeerd wat we voorstellen wanneer we het voorstellen, dus hoe zouden we weten dat jij de uitzondering bent?
    Als je resultaten wilt rapporteren voor de oplossingen die ik heb gegeven, weet ik beter wat ik nog meer moet voorstellen. Zo werkt interactieve help in een forum. Ik heb hier meer ervaring mee dan bijna iedereen op het web, tien jaar op rij geëerd met de hoogste onderscheiding op technisch gebied. Ik zal samenwerken met iedereen die beleefd is en meewerkt totdat het antwoord is gevonden.

    Was dit antwoord nuttig?

    1 persoon vond dit antwoord nuttig.
    0 opmerkingen Geen opmerkingen
  2. Anoniem
    2023-01-06T12:55:00+00:00

    Hey greg,

    I've already reported this in the feedback hub. I thought I'd try an additional community forum post to generate some attention.

    And yes, I also know how to use a search engine.

    I checked all of your links.

    Obviously I've tried updating the bios firmware, display drivers and even monitor firmware if applicable.

    The fact of the matter stays that this is a reproducible issue on multiple different machines, I wouldn't be surprised if anyone with an hdr capable monitor suffers from this issue right now.

    Let's start with the microsoft official post for hdr issues.

    My issue isn't nessecarely listed but I've tried some of the steps by using the calibration app and it somehow seems to worsen the situation for streams. I've already went through the entire microsoft article to check whether that solves it.

    I've already done research on this and have found no resembling information on the web for this particular problem.

    So either no one is aware of this or no one is posting about this.

    Like usual people just post general solutions that I've obviously already tried. Even microsoft does.

    It just frustrates me that the web is full of general purpose solutions that aren't nessecarely applicable to your problem... It's not like I haven't tried any of it and it feels like a hail mary to fixing a problem which is actually reproducible.

    To go a step further, I've contacted the manufacturer of some of these screens to see if they can offer a solution, but their response was that it is a windows issue and therefore outside the scope of the manufacturers support. And I can't blame them.

    I'm going to do a test case soon to see whether on other operating systems this issue appears as well. Maybe there hasn't been any sort of kernel implementation on this issue in general.

    Was dit antwoord nuttig?

    5 personen vonden dit antwoord nuttig.
    0 opmerkingen Geen opmerkingen
  3. Anoniem
    2023-01-06T07:08:05+00:00

    Hello Hylke. I'm Greg, here to help you with this.

    This is a basic peer user forums sponsored by Microsoft where users try to help others with problems. So Microsoft will not even see this here.

    If you'd like to report this as a bug to Microsoft using the Feedback Hub app in Start Menu where developers are tasked to process consumer feedback. They will not even see it here. Microsoft developers DO read feedback from customers that comes in via the Feedback Hub, so that is a great way to share your thoughts on how to better serve you as a customer.

    Also, the Display driver is so important that merely updating it might not be enough. Try everything here to make sure:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

    There are also brightness issues reported with Windows 11 HDR here:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hdr...

    https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/co...

    https://www.theverge.com/23389674/microsoft-win...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPUqTnTbxOE&amp...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v...

    I hope it helps. Feel free to ask any questions.

    ______________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was dit antwoord nuttig?

    0 opmerkingen Geen opmerkingen
  4. Anoniem
    2023-01-05T15:51:12+00:00

    Thank you for trying to help out, I do appreciate it Cindy.

    Happy new year to you too.

    I just hope some microsoft official will pick this up at some point, as it is a reproducible bug in their operating system...

    I don't know what draws their attention to problems like these over the plethora of user generated issues posted daily.

    I've used the report feedback button with diagnostics in windows 11. So that solution hasn't beared any fruits as of yet.

    Was dit antwoord nuttig?

    0 opmerkingen Geen opmerkingen
  5. Anoniem
    2023-01-03T20:06:27+00:00

    I am out of ideas on how to fix this problem. I would like to ask other in this community forum to see if they have a solution.

    Happy New Year,

    Cindy

    Was dit antwoord nuttig?

    0 opmerkingen Geen opmerkingen