Azure Database for PostgreSQL: Storage Scaling Issue — Server Stuck in Starting State

SondreHglund-0610 0 Omdømmepoeng
2026-10-01T06:48:24.38+00:00

Problem description

I am experiencing an issue with my Azure Database for PostgreSQL flexible server. The server has reached 100% storage utilization and has been stuck in the 'Starting' state since around 09:13 UTC on 2026-09-30. Attempts to increase storage in place to 1024 GB while keeping the existing server and its name have failed. The server is not accepting connections, and PostgreSQL is in crash recovery mode, unable to complete recovery due to a full disk. Storage scaling from customer-side tools is blocked, and the Azure portal shows storage scaling as disabled. The last known error from the command-line is 'ServerIsBusy: Cannot complete operation while server '...' is busy processing another operation.' I am seeking assistance to resolve this issue and enable in-place storage extension without restoring to a new server.

Environment

Azure Database for PostgreSQL flexible server in West Europe region.

What I've already tried

I first attempted to increase storage through the Azure portal, but the storage scaling option was disabled while the server was stuck in 'Starting'. Then, I tried using Azure CLI to increase storage, but the request was rejected with a 'ServerIsBusy' error. I also attempted to free space from inside PostgreSQL, but the server was not accepting connections, so no cleanup could be performed.

Current status

Currently, the server remains at full storage, stuck in the 'Starting' state, with customer-initiated storage scaling blocked. I am looking for guidance on how to free up disk space or otherwise recover the server to complete the storage increase and restore normal operation.

Community Center | Ikke overvåket
0 kommentarer Ingen kommentarer

1 svar

Sorter etter: Mest nyttig
  1. SondreHglund-0610 0 Omdømmepoeng
    2026-10-05T13:19:28.08+00:00

    Gave up! Deleted the database and created a new

    Var dette svaret nyttig?

    0 kommentarer Ingen kommentarer

Svaret ditt

Svar kan merkes som «Godtatt» av spørsmålsforfatteren og «Anbefalt» av moderatorer, noe som hjelper brukerne med å vite at svaret løste forfatterens problem.