Backspace key stuck on repeat.

Anonym
2021-06-18T06:55:37+00:00

Yesterday I was playing some Battlefield V, when suddenly things started to go weird.
After closing the game I soon figured out that I couldn't write anything or navigate through my files.

When I wrote, the text would immediately start deleting itself character by character, when I navigated through the file explorer it would just try to go back to the previous page.

Ofcourse I thought that this was some sticky-keys stuff, so I took the keyboard apart and cleaned it. Plugged it in and the problem was still there.
Then I got the idea of disconnecting the keyboard and to my surprise, the problem was still there.
I turned my computer off and on (completely), and the problem was still there.

I decided that it was too late to work on this, so I went to bed.

Now it works again but I have no idea what the problem was.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Enheter og drivere

Låst spørsmål. Dette spørsmålet ble overført fra Microsofts kundestøttefelleskap. Du kan stemme på om det er nyttig, men du kan ikke legge til kommentarer eller svar eller følge spørsmålet.

0 kommentarer Ingen kommentarer
Svar godtatt av spørsmålsforfatter
Anonym
2021-06-18T08:00:08+00:00

That's why one of the steps in the keyboard troubleshooter I gave you is to try the on-screen keyboard to rule out it's the physical keyboard. Did you read the steps?

Those are steps I've compiled over a dozen years in forums which have been used by tens of thousands of consumers to find and fix keyboard problems. Every single step is one that has helped someone many times or it wouldn't be in the list. During that same period of time I've been awarded the highest award in the tech field every year for my work in forums.

If any steps cannot be performed normally then try them in 1) Safe Mode with Networking (so you have internet) or 2) Safe Mode, accessed by one of the illustrated steps in this guide: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-saf.... You will need to use your password to get into Safe Mode as a PIN is not accepted.

In Safe Mode go into the Device Manager to try to Update the Keyboard Driver, If that fail uninstall the keyboard driver, restart PC to reinstall it.

If Safe Mode doesn't work then go into Repair Mode by one of these methods: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanc... to try to System Restore, Uninstall Updates, or do a Reset.

If none of those help you'll need to create bootable media to try the Reset which may be failing due to corrupted onboard files it uses, or do a gold standard Clean Install in this link which compiles the best possible Install of Windows which will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given, has zero reported problems, and is better than any amount of money could buy: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

To create bootable Windows 10 Installation Media (on another PC if necessary) install Media Creation tool and follow the steps toward the bottom of the download page here in the section "Using the tool to create installation media:"

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/software-downlo...

Insert media, boot it by powering up PC while pressing the BIOS Boot Menu Key for your PC maker given in this chart: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutor...

If the media won't boot you may need to enter BIOS/UEFI Setup (pressing key given in chart in link above) to turn off Fast Boot or Fast Startup first.

Choose the boot device as a UEFI device if offered, then on second screen choose Repair Your Computer, then Reset.

If that fails choose Install Now, then Custom Install, then at the drive selection screen delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space to get it cleanest, select the Unallocated Space, click Next to let it create and format the needed partitions and start install - this makes it foolproof.

There is a step to rescue your files first using the booted media if you don't have them backed up: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

You will get and keep the best possible install to the exact extent you stick with the steps, tools and methods in the linked tutorial. It's a great learning experience that will make you the master of your PC because you will learn everything that works best and how to apply it with your own hands.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let me know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

--Greg Carmack

Senior Volunteer Moderator

Windows MVP 2010-20
________________________________________________________

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Var dette svaret nyttig?

1 person syntes dette svaret var nyttig.
0 kommentarer Ingen kommentarer

4 tilleggssvar

Sorter etter: Mest nyttig
  1. Anonym
    2021-06-21T06:33:37+00:00

    Welp, I'm smart.
    Turns out one of my cats had my macro  num-pad on to the floor and thats why the key was being pressed :P
    Thank you for the help Greg, ill make sure to turn on the lights next time!

    Var dette svaret nyttig?

    0 kommentarer Ingen kommentarer
  2. Anonym
    2021-06-18T08:11:09+00:00

    Sorry if my reply came out a bit aggressive, but I have tried all of the things you mentioned.
    When using the onscreen keyboard, the text still gets deleted and i'm not sure why.

    Although I have been planning on getting a fresh install of Windows 10, so might as well just do that :)

    Var dette svaret nyttig?

    0 kommentarer Ingen kommentarer
  3. Anonym
    2021-06-18T07:40:05+00:00

    Thank you, but as stated in the text, the problem is not caused by the physical keyboard.
    Even if I disconnect the keyboard and / or use a different keyboard that I know the computer recognises as a different device the problem is still there.

    Also, I can't navigate through menus or settings when this happens since the backspace keeps on being pressed even when the keyboard is disconnected.

    Var dette svaret nyttig?

    0 kommentarer Ingen kommentarer
  4. Anonym
    2021-06-18T07:27:35+00:00

    Hi Vegard. I'm Greg, an Independent Advisor.

    I will give you everything possible for keyboard problems. If you need help with any steps I'll be standing by here to help you.

    Sometimes a stuck key can be due to crumbs getting under it. Unplug keyboard or power off laptop, turn it upside down over a trash can and gently rake the keys to dislodge crumbs. If the key is still stuck, remove and clean under it as shown here:

    https://www.wikihow.com/Repair-a-Laptop-Key

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCYOiK9QP08

    Try the Keyboard Troubleshooter at Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot.

    If this began within the recent past, See if you can System Restore to a point before the problem began: http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/how-t...

    Check which Updates were installed at Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Installed Update History and try uninstalling any from around the time this started. If they return and cause the same problem then hide them with the Hide Updates tool: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8280-hide-s...

    If this was caused by a Version Update then for 10 days you can roll it back in Settings>Update & Security>Recovery and then hide it until it matures using the Hide Updates Tool which is explained more here:

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8280-hide-s...

    What also might work is to go into Device Manager, reached by right clicking the Start button, choose the Keyboard device, on Driver tab try Updating the driver automatically.

    If this fails from the same location try rolling back or Uninstalling the Keyboard driver, which works in a surprising number of cases where keyboard is messed up by Updates. Restart PC to reinstall driver.

    See if the keyboard will work in Safe Mode with Networking, or Safe Mode: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-saf...

    If not see if the On-screen Keyboard works at Settings > Ease of Access > Keyboard > Turn On the On Screen Keyboard.

    If so then it could confirm the keyboard is failing, so test it in repair mode to see if it works since it uses different drivers there: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanc...

    If not you can contact a laptop manufacturer to see if you can still get it replaced under warranty, or check for replacement keyboards for that model from the PC maker or online from after-market OEM's that exactly match it.

    Try resetting the keyboard: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/reset-keyboard-se...

    You can also remap keyboard keys using one of these methods:

    https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/missing-key-remap...

    https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-remap-your-...

    Bind keys to certain functions as shown here:

    https://grayishgames.com/pc-key-binding-for-beg...

    https://www.ixiegaming.com/blog/the-art-of-keyb...

    Check in your BIOS or UEFI firmware Setup for keyboard settings there, too.

    If it's a hardware problem then you can often easily replace a keyboard by asking Google for a replacement for your full model number laptop, confirm with seller it fits that unit, locate a video or tutorial the same way which demonstates swapping it in.

    If none of these works then go over this checklist to make sure the install is set up correctly, optimized for best performance, and any needed repairs get done: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    Start with Step 4 to turn off Startup freeloaders which can conflict and cause issues, then Step 7 to check for infection the most thorough way, then step 10 to check for damaged System Files. Then continue with the other steps to go over your install most thoroughly.

    Update your drivers and BIOS/UEFI firmware from PC or motherboard maker's Support Downloads web page, using the full model number, Serial Number or Dell Service Tag on sticker. Compare the latest drivers available for download with the ones presently installed in Device Manager reached by right clicking the Start Menu. Make sure you have the latest BIOS or UEFI firmware, Chipset, Display (Video), Sound, USB3, Bluetooth, Network and all other drivers, or else download and install the latest now.

    Updating drivers from the Device Manager or Windows Update is rarely enough. The most basic thing we need to learn to maintain a PC is keep the latest manufacturer's drivers installed from their Support Downloads web page.

    If nothing else works then do a Repair Install, by installing Media Creation Tool, open tool and choose to Upgrade Now. This reinstalls Windows while keeping files, programs and most settings in place, is the most stable method to advance to the latest version, and solves most problems. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/m...

    I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and keep me posted. If you'll wait to rate whether my post helped you, I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

    ________________________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Var dette svaret nyttig?

    0 kommentarer Ingen kommentarer