onedrive lost files HELP

Castelli Micaela 0 Punti di reputazione
2025-12-08T15:06:53.9866667+00:00

Hello, I am contacting you because my OneDrive has lost a large number of files that belonged to an old PC which I returned in September 2024.

I can still see the entire folder structure, but all folders are now empty. The recycle bin contains only recent items and the "Restore your OneDrive" option only allows me to go back 30 days, which is not enough.

It appears that a newer PC synced an empty OneDrive folder and overwrote the online content several months ago.

I would like to kindly ask if you can check:

whether any server-side snapshots,

Point-in-time copies,

shadow copies,

or hidden retention backups exist for my OneDrive prior to September 2024.

I understand these are not normally visible to end users, but I am asking if recovery from backend storage or internal retention systems is still possible.

I would be extremely grateful for any assistance, even partial recovery of older data.

Thank you in advance.

Microsoft 365 e Office | OneDrive | Per il lavoro | Altro
0 commenti Nessun commento

1 risposta

Ordina per: Più utili
  1. Chris Duong 10,705 Punti di reputazione Personale Esterno Microsoft Moderatore
    2025-12-08T18:21:54.2066667+00:00

    Hi @Castelli Micaela,

    Welcome to the Microsoft Q&A forum.
    Thank you for reaching out regarding the missing files in your OneDrive. I understand how important this data is and the urgency of recovering it. 

    Given this situation, here are my recommendations that you may find helpful:     

    1/ Restore previous versions of files in OneDrive

    While waiting for further assistance, you can try restoring previous versions of individual files (if version history is enabled). This may help recover older content if the files were previously uploaded and versioning was active. 

    1. Sign in to OneDrive online.
    2. Go to the file you want to restore.
    3. Right‑click the file and select Version history.
    4. In the Version history pane, review the available versions.
    5. Select the version you want to restore and click Restore.

    For more details, see this official Microsoft article: Restore a previous version of a file stored in OneDrive – Microsoft Support.

    2/ Contact Microsoft Support

    Because this issue involves personal data and may require access to backend systems, I strongly recommend contacting Microsoft Support directly for secure and personalized assistance. A support agent can verify your account type, review your OneDrive settings and sync history, and confirm whether any retention policies or backup options are available. They will guide you through all possible recovery steps based on your account configuration. 

    We kindly ask for your understanding that, as moderators, we do not have access to the administrative tools or permissions required to investigate or modify these configurations. We also do not have the capability to initiate remote sessions for direct assistance. Our role is to guide users to the appropriate resources and support channels.   

    To proceed, follow the steps below:

    • Visit the Microsoft 365 Admin Center: https://admin.microsoft.com
    • Sign in with your Microsoft administrator account. (If you're not an admin, please contact your organization's administrator to submit a request on your behalf.) 
    • On right bottom corner click on "Help & support"   
      Immagine dell'utente
    • Then choose Contact support.
      Immagine dell'utente
    • Describe your issue and request to speak with a live agent. You may be offered options for chat or call depending on your region and support availability. 

    I hope this information is helpful. Please follow these steps and let me know if it works for you. If not, feel free to share them in the comments on this post so I can continue to assist you. 

    I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this.


    If the answer is helpful, please click “Accept answer” and kindly give an upvote. If you have other questions about this response, click “Comment.”

    Note: Follow the steps in our documentation to enable email notifications if you want to receive email notifications related to this topic.   

    La risposta è stata utile?


Risposta

Le risposte possono essere contrassegnate come "Accettata" dall'autore della domanda e "Consigliata" dai moderatori, in modo da consentire agli utenti di sapere che la risposta ha risolto il problema dell'autore.