Windows 24H2 In-Place Upgrade Fails: PCRPF Component Marked as Critical but Not Required by Target System

Francesco Marras 20 Punti di reputazione
2025-08-03T21:39:56.3633333+00:00

Hello, I am trying to perform an ISO in-place upgrade to Windows 24H2 because of Windows defender UI being broken, but the process fails with a message stating that the PCRPF component is considered critical on the source system but is not required by the target system. My OS was previously Win10, and was then upgraded to Win11, now is at version 24H2.

I have checked using PowerShell and DISM, and the component does not appear among the optional features or installed packages. However, I found references to "pcrpf" in both the WinSxS folder and the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\Winners.

How can I safely resolve this issue and complete the upgrade? Is it safe to manually remove these references from the registry, or is there a recommended procedure from Microsoft to handle this kind of (probably) leftover component? I have already tried running DISM /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup /resetbase and sfc /scannow with no success.

Any advice or official guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Windows per utenti privati | Windows 11 | Ripristino e backup
0 commenti Nessun commento

Risposta consigliata dal moderatore
Francesco Marras 20 Punti di reputazione
2025-12-12T15:07:18.2366667+00:00

Ok so apparently I did it (WOW!!!)

My solution was disabling

  • Hyper-V
  • VM Platform
  • Windows Hypervisor Platform
  • Windows Sandbox
  • WSL

I don't exactly know which feature PCRPF is connected with, but hey it worked.

La risposta è stata utile?


2 risposte aggiuntive

Ordina per: Più utili
  1. nobuko c 125.1K Punti di reputazione Consulente indipendente
    2025-08-04T09:02:55.1733333+00:00

    Thank you for your reply.

    It didn’t work? That’s unfortunate.

    Please consider waiting to see if other users share additional solutions.

    Thank you.

    La risposta è stata utile?

    0 commenti Nessun commento

  2. nobuko c 125.1K Punti di reputazione Consulente indipendente
    2025-08-03T22:16:26.1033333+00:00

    Hello,

    Try reinstalling Windows by downloading a repair version through Windows Update.

    For detailed instructions, please refer to the support article:

    “Fix issues by reinstalling the current version of Windows.”

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-issues-by-reinstalling-the-current-version-of-windows-497ac6da-7cac-4641-82a5-f50398d879a0

    Thank you.

    La risposta è stata utile?


Risposta

Le risposte possono essere contrassegnate come "Accettata" dall'autore della domanda e "Consigliata" dai moderatori, in modo da consentire agli utenti di sapere che la risposta ha risolto il problema dell'autore.