Plateforme et infrastructure de cloud computing pour la génération, le déploiement et la gestion d’applications et de services à travers un réseau mondial de centres de données gérés par Microsoft.
Billing: Marketplace charges on Azure sponsorship account — Request for adjustment
Subject: Request for billing adjustment — Anthropic Marketplace charges,
USD 2,598.33, unbilled period
Billing account : c3490567-0a90-50e0-79af-1609754e172d:
e5571c4f-384b-4cd6-9f18-8788e6d9a39e_2019-05-31
Billing profile : 4DEC-YKH3-BG7-PGB
Subscription : f13835d6-887f-489b-a066-cf1fc607b800
Amount : USD 2,598.33 (EUR 2,231.09), incurred 4-6 Sept 2026
Product : claude-ccu-azure-hosted-plan
Meter : claude-consumption-units
Publisher : Anthropic (publisherType: Marketplace)
Status : not yet invoiced; expected on the September invoice
Hello,
I am requesting a one-time billing adjustment, or an equivalent Azure
credit, for USD 2,598.33 of Anthropic model consumption.
FIRST, TO BE CLEAR ABOUT WHAT I AM NOT CLAIMING
I am not claiming this is undocumented. I have found the relevant
statements myself:
- learn.microsoft.com/azure/foundry/foundry-models/how-to/ use-foundry-models-claude : "If you have an account with a credit card on file, the credit card will be charged instead of Azure Credits."
- learn.microsoft.com/partner-center/marketplace-offers/ marketplace-faq-publisher-guide : "prepaid or sponsored Azure spend can't be used to buy partner solutions from Microsoft Marketplace."
I am not disputing the policy, and I am not asking for an exception to
it. My request rests on three specific, verifiable problems.
- THE DEDICATED BILLING PAGE FOR THIS PRODUCT OMITS IT ENTIRELY
The page titled "Claude Consumption Units (CCU) billing in Microsoft
Foundry" (learn.microsoft.com/azure/foundry/foundry-models/concepts/
claude-models-billing) is the single page whose entire subject is how
Claude is billed. It contains:
"Azure Credit" - 0 occurrences
"credit card" - 0 occurrences
"sponsorship" - 0 occurrences
"Marketplace" - 20 occurrences
What it does say is: "The CCU meter is MACC-eligible... CCU spend
decrements your Microsoft Azure Consumption Commitment the same way any
other Azure Marketplace consumption does."
A customer who goes to the billing page to understand billing comes away
informed that CCU integrates with Azure commitments, and is told nothing
about credit ineligibility. The one page that should carry this warning
is the one page that does not.
- THE PLATFORM CONTRADICTS ITS OWN RULE FOR THREE OF FOUR PARTNER PROVIDERS ON MY OWN SUBSCRIPTION
The documentation states that "Foundry Models from partners and
community are billed through Azure Marketplace". On my subscription,
that holds for exactly one provider out of four:
publisherType Provider Meter name Credits
Microsoft MoonshotAI "Azure Kimi - Model 6 Outp DZ" covered
Microsoft Meta "Azure Llama Models - 3.3 70B" covered
Microsoft Fireworks "Azure Fireworks Models - K3" covered
Marketplace Anthropic "claude-ccu-azure-hosted-plan" NOT
MoonshotAI, Meta and Fireworks are listed in the same "partners and
community" category as Anthropic, in the same documentation page. They
bill as first-party Azure meters, prefixed "Azure", and are fully
covered by my sponsorship credit.
So a customer who read the documentation AND observed the actual
behaviour of their own subscription had three concrete observations
indicating that partner models bill via Azure meters and consume
credits, against one that does not. The documented category does not
predict billing treatment, and Anthropic is the undocumented exception.
- THE WARNING IS PLACED WHERE IT WILL NOT BE READ, AND NO GUARDRAIL EXISTS
The sentence quoted above appears as a trailing "Note:" at the end of a
bulleted list headed "The following subscription types are currently not
supported". That list is read to determine eligibility, not billing
treatment. A customer with a payment method on file confirms they are
supported and moves on. The financial consequence is attached to an
exclusion list rather than stated in a billing or pricing section. That
same article carries the disclaimer: "The author created this article
with assistance from AI."
Separately, the rule that credits cannot be applied to Marketplace
purchases is published in a Partner Center guide written for publishers
listing offers, not for customers deploying a model.
No spend alert was raised at any point. Per
learn.microsoft.com/azure/cost-management-billing/manage/spending-limit,
"Some external services published in the Azure Marketplace can't be used
with your subscription credits, and can incur separate charges even when
your spending limit is set." So no guardrail was available to me by
design. USD 2,598.33 accrued in three days on an account whose entire
sponsorship credit ceiling is USD 5,000.
REMEDIATION AND REQUEST
I identified the charges through billing analysis and stopped all
Anthropic usage immediately. Spend on this product has been USD 0.00
since 7 September 2026 and the amount is final. My remaining sponsorship
credit is USD 1,572.86, expiring 16 January 2027.
I request a one-time billing adjustment or an equivalent Azure credit.
I am raising this before the invoice is generated rather than after.
I would equally value a guardrail: a deployment-time notice, or a spend
alert, when a model deployment is not credit-eligible. I am glad to have
points 1 and 2 treated as product feedback alongside the adjustment
request, whatever the outcome of the adjustment itself.
I am a Microsoft for Startups member, actively building on Azure, and I
intend to continue.
Thank you,