Excel Map Chart not coloring or locating some Japanese cities

Jurado Rodriguez Neri Magdiel 5 Puntos de reputación
2026-09-27T04:05:11.0666667+00:00

Hi everyone, I’m trying to use Excel’s Map Chart to visualize data for Japanese prefectures and cities, but I’m running into several issues:

  • Some cities work fine: for example, Aisai is recognized and colored correctly.

Other cities (like Handa and Kariya) are recognized by Excel/Bing — they show up in the legend — but they don’t get colored on the map.

Some cities are reported as “not found” even though Bing Maps clearly knows them. For example, Ōguchi‑chō appears in Bing Maps with its boundaries, but Excel Map Chart says it doesn’t exist.

I’ve tried different variations of names: adding “‑shi” (e.g., Aisai‑shi), “‑chō” (Ōguchi‑chō), and even writing them in Japanese characters (like 愛西市), but Excel still fails to locate or color them.

I also tested using text categories (“blue”, “orange”) and numeric values (1, 2) for the data column, but the issue remains: the “orange” ones are listed in the legend but not shaded on the map.

Adding extra columns like “District” didn’t help either — Excel just doesn’t seem to recognize subdivisions beyond prefecture/city.

Interestingly, I tried something similar with all U.S. counties, and Excel Map Chart handled them without problems. So this seems to be a Japan‑specific limitation.

My questions:

Is this a known bug or limitation with Bing Maps polygons for Japanese municipalities?

If it’s not possible to do what I want directly in Excel, what alternative methods would you suggest for visualizing Japanese cities with Map Chart?

Any advice or confirmation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!c4

Microsoft 365 y Office | Excel | Para el ámbito educativo | Windows
0 comentarios No hay comentarios

1 respuesta

Ordenar por: Lo más útil
  1. Michelle Nguyen 2,025 Puntos de reputación Asesor independiente
    2026-09-27T06:07:41.51+00:00

    Please note that this is the es-es forum. We kindly recommend posting your question in Spanish so that more community members can assist you. Alternatively, you may consider posting in the English forum if you prefer to use your native language. We sincerely appreciate your understanding.

    Hi @Jurado Rodriguez Neri Magdiel

    Thank you for providing the detailed examples and screenshots. Please note that I am just a regular user in this community, not a Microsoft employee or support representative, so I can only share suggestions based on Microsoft documentation and my own research.

    Based on the screenshots, Excel appears to have included both the "blue" and "orange" groups in the legend but failed to shade all the corresponding municipalities on the map. This suggests the issue likely stems from how the geographic names are matched against existing boundary polygons, rather than the categorical data type or numerical values ​​used for shading. After testing this on my end, I was able to reproduce similar behavior, where some Japanese municipalities appeared in the legend but remained unshaded on the map.

    Microsoft has acknowledged an issue where Map Charts using the Geography data type can sometimes map locations incorrectly. They recommend separating geographic levels into distinct columns and including higher-level administrative fields such as prefecture and country to reduce ambiguity. Documentation also indicates that Map Charts primarily support relatively high-level geographic areas. You may want to consult the documentation on creating Map Charts in Excel.

    You have already organized your data into separate columns for Country, Prefecture, District, and City. Consequently, if Handa, Kariya, and Ōguchi remain unshaded, simply switching between English and Japanese names, text-based categories, or numerical values ​​is unlikely to resolve the issue of missing or incorrectly matched polygons.

    I have not found any official Microsoft documentation confirming a specific behavior affecting these particular Japanese municipalities. Therefore, you can perform a final check by converting each cell containing a city name via Data > Data Types > Geography, and then reviewing any ambiguous results in the selection pane. Excel allows users to select the correct geographic result when the online data source cannot precisely identify the text content. However, if it still doesn’t work, I suggest submitting feedback so that the product team can hear your concerns and consider addressing the issue in a future update.

    Screenshot 2026-09-27 at 13.59.20

    Please keep me updated.

    ¿Le resultó útil esta respuesta?


Su respuesta

Las respuestas pueden ser marcadas como Respuestas aceptadas por el autor de la pregunta, lo que indica a los usuarios que la respuesta resolvió su problema.