Chronic "formula becomes text" issue in Excel Tables feature, when a GENERAL formatted formula refers to at TEXT formatted column

J M 40 Reputation points
2026-10-09T14:04:20.4+00:00

The title is a mouthful, but to me, there seems to be a bug in Excel under the following circumstances, that I haven't seen much written about. (Lots about how to fix, but I haven't seen anything on the cause of it).

  • Using an Excel Table specifically. This doesn't happen when not using Excel tables.
  • Where at least one column is formatted as text. (Let's say I put "abcd" in column 1)
  • And another column is formatted GENERAL, and contains a formula referencing the TEXT formatted column. Let's say I put "=Len(A2)" into col2. So far, so good.
  • Then, I modify column 2's formula in any way, let's say "=Len(a2) + 1": After doing this once (or sometimes twice, the issue doesn't happen every time), the cell where I modified the formula becomes TEXT and the cell displays the text of the formula. If there were multiple rows within the table where the formula propagates downward, it'll still be just the one cell where the formula was modified where this issue happens.

Is this a known bug? I see posts about how to fix the problem when it happens, but haven't noticed any talking about the cause.

Thanks

Other observations: Only the GENERAL format seems to have this problem, NUMBER formatting doesn't do it. But, this isn't a solution, my formula could have been something like ="Dept. " & A1, meaning "use number formatting" won't work in all cases.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For business | Windows
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. J M 40 Reputation points
    2026-10-09T18:23:07.78+00:00

    Thanks, @Liora, I appreciate the corroboration. Ironically, I don't have direct access to submit a support ticket, I'm just an Excel power user, on days where I'm flattering myself, using my employer's Office 365 subscription, and I don't at the moment have an Office 365 subscription at home. (I'm in IT, but not part of our Office support team).

    I only have "Contact Support" as an option on my organization's Help ribbon, no "Provide Feedback", so I can't exactly contact support conveniently, without wondering if my report will lead to my employer getting a bill from Microsoft. ("Contact Support" looks a little like I'd just get vague suxty-sux percent correct AI answer.) ;-)

    If you have the ability to contact support, please feel free to do so on, and list me as a co-author. ;0) (The same request applies to anyone who might do this.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. J M 40 Reputation points
    2026-10-09T18:22:00.2+00:00

    (dup post, removed/edited. This site doesn't seem to like people using Firefox)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Liora 2,330 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-09T14:58:16.4833333+00:00

    Dear @J M,

    I hope you’re having a good day 

    Thank you for taking the time to document the behavior so clearly and provide specific reproduction conditions.

    After reviewing your description, I performed some testing on my side using Excel Tables with a Text-formatted source column and a General-formatted formula column. During testing, I was able to encounter behavior that appeared similar to what you described, where a formula within a Table was displayed as text rather than being evaluated after editing.

    What I found particularly interesting is the same observation you highlighted: the behavior appears to be associated with Excel Tables rather than ordinary worksheet ranges. In my own testing, I was unable to reproduce it reliably outside of a Table structure.

    I also spent some time researching Microsoft's documentation and existing discussions. While there is a significant amount of information describing how to recover when a formula is interpreted as text, I was not able to find any Microsoft article, KB, or known-issues document that specifically explains the scenario you described.

    At this time, I have not found any publicly documented Microsoft explanation that clearly identifies the root cause of this behavior, nor have I found documentation confirming whether it is an intended Table behavior, an edge case, or a product defect.

    From my perspective, the most significant finding in your investigation is that the issue appears to be limited to Tables and does not reproduce in a normal range. That suggests the behavior may be related to how Excel Tables handle calculated columns, formula propagation, or data-type inference rather than to the formula function itself.

    If you have access to Microsoft Support, I actually think this would be a good candidate for a support case. You've already done much of the difficult work by narrowing the issue down to a specific set of conditions and providing reproducible steps. A small sample workbook together with the reproduction steps and your Excel build number would give Support the best opportunity to determine whether this is an undocumented limitation, expected behavior, or a bug that should be reviewed by the Excel engineering team.

    You can raise support ticket from Microsoft 365 Admin Center>Support>Help & Support.   

    For reference:  Get support | Microsoft Docs    

    You may also wish to submit feedback directly from Excel via: Help > Feedback

    User's image

    Thank you again for sharing such a thoughtful investigation. Even though I was unable to find a definitive Microsoft explanation for the underlying cause, I think your findings are valuable because they help move the discussion beyond the usual workaround-based answers and focus on understanding the behavior itself.

    I also hope this thread helps other users who encounter similar symptoms recognize that the issue may be related to Excel Tables and formatting interactions, rather than simply a formula-entry mistake.

    Warm regards,  


    If the answer is helpful, please select "Yes, accept answer". If you have any questions or new updates, please feel free to comment below.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.