Getting error "not Authorized to Access account" when trying to enable "Data policy enforcement (previously Data use management)" on a azure storage blob resource in Purview

Pinaki Mukherjee 0 Reputation points
2026-10-09T12:33:11.4033333+00:00

Hi,

I am getting error "not Authorized to Access account" when trying to enable "Data policy enforcement (previously Data use management)" ON for azure storage blob resource in Purview -> data map -> data resources.

My user id is the subscription owner, I have also got privileges of "Data source admins", "Collection admin".

The managed identity of the purview root collection has also been given the privileges of "storage account contributor", "storage blob data owner" and "storage blob data reader". My user has also been assigned these roles.

But still when I try to switch "Data policy enforcement (previously Data use management)" ON for azure storage blob resource in Purview -> data map -> data resources, I am getting the error ""not Authorized to Access account".

Please share a solution to this issue if anyone has faced this problem.

Thanks & Regards.

Pinaki

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Purview
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Pinaki Mukherjee 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-09T14:27:07.31+00:00

    MY userid already has policy author role in purview but this didn't help to resolve the error. Do you want me to give the managed identity of the root collection policy author role? Also, when you say IAM owner role do you mean subscription owner role? I have checked my userid's role for the azure blob storage account, it has subscription(inherited) owner role for the storage account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Pinaki Mukherjee 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-09T14:31:32.4033333+00:00

    my userid and the root collection maneged identity already has owner on the storage account and Data source admin on the root collection in purview. However, I do not have user access administrator role. But microsoft documentation says owner role is sufficient for this acitvity?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.