Alerts and Action Groups: Email Not Delivered Despite Action Group Execution

David Bogues 0 Reputation points
2026-10-09T08:55:00.12+00:00

Problem description

I am experiencing an issue where a Simple Log Alert fires and executes its associated action group, but the expected email notification is not received. The alert reports as firing successfully, and the action group shows as executed, yet no email arrives in the mailbox.

Environment

The affected environment involves an Azure Monitor Simple Log Alert tied to an Application Insights resource in North Europe. The alert's action group, configured for email notification, is in the Global region and uses one email recipient. Test notifications using the same action group for Activity Log and Log Alert V2 alerts are delivered successfully, indicating the email path generally works.

What I've already tried

I have verified that the alert fires successfully and that the action group is executed. I tested the action group with other alert types, and they deliver emails successfully. I checked for alert suppression rules, verified the email receiver's address and subscription status, and reviewed mailbox spam, quarantine, and inbox rules. I also examined the alert history and confirmed that the alert is not suppressed and that the email receiver is verified and enabled. Additionally, I reviewed email traces and quarantines, but did not find any issues affecting the delivery of the live alert email.

Current status

The alert fires and the action group executes, but the email notification does not reach the recipient. I am seeking assistance to investigate the final email delivery path, including possible filtering, quarantine, or other issues that may prevent the email from arriving. I would appreciate guidance on further troubleshooting steps to identify and resolve the delivery failure.

Azure Monitor
Azure Monitor

An Azure service that is used to collect, analyze, and act on telemetry data from Azure and on-premises environments.


1 answer

Sort by: Newest
  1. Alex Burlachenko 25,370 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2026-10-09T11:23:16.85+00:00

    Hi David Bogues & thx for join me at Q&A platform,

    an Azure Monitor notification delivery issue than a problem with ur email receiver or Action Group configuration.

    The key detail is that the same Action Group successfully sends emails from Activity Log and Log Alert V2 alerts, but not from the Simple Log Alert. That pretty much rules out a general mailbox or receiver verification problem. Also, Action Group executed doesn't necessarily mean the email was successfully generated and handed off to the mail service.

    I'd check the message trace for the exact time the Simple Log Alert fired. If there's no matching message at all, I'd focus on Azure Monitor's notification pipeline rather than spending more time checking spam or quarantine. It's also worth confirming the fired alert actually references the expected Action Group and email receiver, not just that the Action Group works in separate tests.

    If everything matches, I'd raise this with the Azure Monitor Alerts team. Give them the fired alert ID, Action Group resource ID, UTC timestamp, and results from the working Log Alert V2 test. Ask them to check whether the Simple Log Alert generated an email notification and whether the notification service attempted delivery.

    Tbh, if the same receiver works with other alert types and there's zero trace of the missing email, this could be a backend issue specific to the Simple Log Alert notification path. Microsoft would need to check that side.

    rgds,

    Alex

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.