How do I transfer my single device key for Microsoft Project Subscriptin from my old laptop

jacob A 0 Reputation points
2026-10-09T08:41:38.7+00:00

I have removed the old laptop from my 365 account and re-downloaded the program to my new laptop but it says I cant reuse the key as it was used and uninstalled MS Project off the old laptop, before I removed that laptop from my 365 account. How can I resolve this issue?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Project | For home | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Jayden-P 3,550 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-09T08:56:38.8266667+00:00

    Hi @jacob A

    Could you please confirm which version of Microsoft Project you have (for example, Project 2021, Project 2024, Project Professional, Project Standard, or a Project Plan subscription)?

    Also, was the Project license previously linked to a Microsoft account when it was first activated?

    If it was linked to a Microsoft account, please try signing in to that same account on the new laptop and activate Project using the account rather than re-entering the product key, as retail Project licenses are typically associated with the Microsoft account that originally redeemed the key.

    If you are unsure which account was used, check any Microsoft accounts you may have used when setting up Project on the old device.

    The detailed steps can be found here.

    Note: Some versions of Project don't have an associated Microsoft account, or work or school account, or you need to redeem your product key in a different way. If you are in this situation, please let me know how the license was originally purchased (retail, workplace program, volume license, etc.), as the activation method may differ.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.