Azure Tenant Migration: Old OrgID Remains After Migration and Devices Not Showing in New Tenant

CodyJones-9221 0 Reputation points
2026-10-08T20:26:30.1633333+00:00

Problem description

I am facing an issue after migrating my Azure virtual machines from an old Azure tenant to a new tenant. The affected servers still display the previous Defender for Endpoint organization ID instead of the new tenant, and they do not appear in the new tenant’s Microsoft Defender portal.

Environment

Microsoft Defender for Cloud with Microsoft Defender for Endpoint integration for Azure virtual machines/servers.

What I've already tried

I ran the new-tenant onboarding script on the affected servers, but the organization ID did not change, and the devices did not show up in the new tenant’s Defender portal. I also attempted to offboard the servers from the old tenant, but since the old tenant is decommissioned and no longer accessible, I couldn't complete the offboarding. Additionally, I have verified licensing is enabled and the onboarding script matches my server OS.

Current status

The old tenant is no longer accessible, the servers still associate with the previous organization ID, and the onboarding attempts have not resulted in devices appearing in the new tenant. I am seeking guidance on how to properly disassociate the servers from the old tenant and onboard them to the new tenant successfully.

Microsoft Security | Microsoft Defender | Microsoft Defender for Cloud
0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.