Cannot Delete File in One Drive - quota exceeded

Anggara Pratita 0 Reputation points
2026-10-08T07:20:23.27+00:00

Hi,

My one drive is full with 5T, now it is exceeded. I cannot delete or sync any file. How can i do? please help me.

I tried so many way, my recycle bin already empty. But still cannot delete any large file. It said read only. How to make some small space so i can start to delete large file?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For business | Windows
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Liora 2,330 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-08T07:37:46.2966667+00:00

    Dear @Anggara Pratita,

    I hope you’re having a good day. 

    Since your OneDrive for Business has exceeded its 5 TB quota and you've already emptied the Recycle Bin, I would first recommend trying to delete files directly from OneDrive on the web rather than through File Explorer or the sync client: https://onedrive.cloud.microsoft/

    If the files can be deleted from the web interface, the issue is likely related to the sync client. However, if the files are also read-only in OneDrive on the web, there may be an administrative restriction involved, such as a retention or compliance policy.

    In that case, I would recommend contacting your Microsoft 365 administrator and asking them to verify:

    If your administrator has already increased the quota and the problem still persists after some time, they may need to open a Microsoft support case to investigate the OneDrive site's backend status.

    If you’re unsure who your administrator is, this article may help: How do I find my Microsoft 365 admin?

    I hope this information helps point you in the right direction. If you run into any issues while trying the steps, or if something still doesn’t feel quite right, please don’t hesitate to reach out again. I’ll do my best to support you however I can.   

    Looking forward to hearing back from you with any updates or additional details.  

    Warm regards,  


    If the answer is helpful, please select "Yes, accept answer". If you have any questions or new updates, please feel free to comment below. 

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.