Excel Won't Activate

Matthew Banach 0 Reputation points
2026-10-08T05:14:41.4666667+00:00

Whenever I click file and to the save a document, the "save" and "save as" options are greyed out. The autosave feature is turned off and won't turn on. When I open up Excel and click the activate button on the bottom left corner, I get a message that says "An unknown error has occurred. The error code is 0x0." I also get a message that says we are unable to activate office. I have a paid subscription through March of 2027. Please help me in solving this issue.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Other
0 comments No comments

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. GsN5034 - IA 78,420 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2026-10-08T05:51:49.4366667+00:00

    Hello,

    1. May I please know if you have a Microsoft Office 365 Personal or Family Subscription?
    2. Are you running Windows or macOS?

    Note: (If you're running macOS and getting error 0x0)

    Make sure your Mac meets the system requirements to run Microsoft Office 365 apps.

    1. Your Mac should be running macOS 12 (Monterey) or later.
    2. Your Office apps should be Office 2021 or later.

    Since you're on a paid Office 365 subscription until next year, ensure your Mac is running macOS 12 or later to meet the current requirements.

    If you're running macOS 12 or later, you can use the Office license removal tool here to remove previous Office licenses on your Mac and then reactivate them.

    How to remove Office license files on a Mac


    Also, check the

    Unknown Error 0x0 or License not found error in Microsoft 365 or Office running on macOS article for reference if the issue persists.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.