How to create Power Automate Flow with External Microsoft Form

Darcy Wall 0 Reputation points
2026-10-07T18:31:28.9233333+00:00

I am trying to create a Power Automate Flow that will collect people's information through a Microsoft Form from external people outside of my company. Once the form results are collected, I want the submission details to be posted on an internal SharePoint list to be used as a distribution list. I also need the flow to look for individuals who previous submitted an entry already via that email address as a custom identifier and if an entry exists to replace the existing entry with the newest submission. If no entry exists to simple paste the form results in the list accordingly. How do I do this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | SharePoint | For business | Windows
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. CodeAutomation 10 Reputation points
    2026-10-07T18:48:21.0933333+00:00

    You can handle this with a simple check-then-update/create flow.

    Use:

    1. When a new response is submitted
    2. Get response details
    3. SharePoint – Get items
    4. Filter the list by the submitted email address
    5. Add a condition:
      • If a matching item exists → Update item
        • If no item exists → Create item

    For the SharePoint filter, use the email column as the unique key. Also normalize the email to lowercase before comparing to avoid duplicate records caused by capitalization differences.

    If the list is expected to grow, indexing the email column in SharePoint will also help performance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments

  2. Ryan-N 16,135 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-07T18:42:54.5733333+00:00

    Hi Darcy,

    Welcome to the Microsoft Q&A forum.

    Based on your description, I understand that you want to collect information from external users through Microsoft Forms and automatically save or update the submitted information in a SharePoint list.

    Microsoft Forms provides the When a new response is submitted trigger and the Get response details action, which can be used to retrieve responses and process the submitted data in Power Automate.

    Because your question requires assistance with designing and configuring a Power Automate flow, I recommend posting it in the Microsoft Power Platform Community Forum. Power Automate specialists and experienced community members there will be better positioned to provide detailed guidance for your specific flow.

    I apologize for redirecting you, but this will help ensure that you receive more accurate and specialized support.

    If you have any questions or need further assistance, please feel free to share them in the comments on this post so I can continue to support you.

    I look forward to continuing the conversation.


    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.  

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.