Product Key was one time use but I returned my computer and need to reinstall on new computer

Aaron Turner 0 Reputation points
2026-10-02T19:33:34.08+00:00

I purchased a Mac book and one time subscription to Microsoft Office and installed it on my Mac book. I retuned Mac book and before doing do I uninstalled office as requested. Once I purchased another new computer and tried to reinstall Office, it is saying this product key was already used since it was a one-time purchase.

I only installed it before returning the computer, so I don't feel it is fair to spend $200 on Office return a computer just for them to tell me, "Sorry you'll have to purchase another subscription."

How can I get this product key to work on my new computer?

Also, WHY is there no phone or chat help with Microsoft - I find it RIDICULOUS that you cannot speak to someone and every time you need help, they refer you to a bunch on online Q&As - that is NOT customer service. It is BS and should be ashamed. No live chat, no Microsoft stores, they just say good luck hope you figure it out online... COMPLETE BS.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Install, redeem, activate | For home | Other
0 comments No comments

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Stefan Blom 353.9K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2026-10-09T10:48:27.6866667+00:00

    The product key is really a redemption key and it can only be used once. To install Office on a new computer, just sign in to your account at https://account.microsoft.com/services and start the install. If you purchased via Apple, you may have to start the process in the App Store.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Thomas4-N 22,390 Reputation points Microsoft External Staff Moderator
    2026-10-09T07:28:52.0433333+00:00

    Hello Aaron Turner,

    I’m sorry you’ve had trouble reinstalling Office after returning your MacBook, especially after uninstalling it as requested.

    If “This product key has already been used” appears when entering the key on the setup website, it means the key has already been redeemed, not necessarily that you need to buy Office again. Microsoft explains this in its product-key guidance.

    Please try:

    • Sign in to Services & subscriptions using the same Microsoft account you used when first setting up Office.
    • Find your purchased Office product and select Install.
    • After installation, open Word and sign in with that same account to activate, rather than entering the key again.

    Transfer eligibility depends on your Office edition. If installation or activation still fails, please share the exact edition and whether the error appears on the setup website or inside Word.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. g h 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-02T19:46:10.5966667+00:00

    If you associated your email with the installation, you can go into your microsoft account and check your subscriptions.
    https://account.microsoft.com/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.