How to send an email to a large group?

Elizabeth Roscoe 20 Reputation points
2025-11-24T16:08:24.0966667+00:00

I am new to Outlook. I have created a group with 63 email addresses in it. When I try to send an email to the group I get an error message that says: "Couldn't send this message". When I click on "more details" it says: "Your message wasn't sent because there's a daily limit for how many messages can be sent. We saved in your Drafts folder." I pay $115 (Canadian) per year for a Microsoft 365 Personal subscription.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Harold Milan 17,605 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2025-11-24T16:42:51.0466667+00:00

Hi Elizabeth,

This issue happens because Microsoft prioritizes security and spam prevention. While it feels restrictive, it’s designed to protect accounts and the email ecosystem. For frequent group emails, upgrading to a business plan or using a mailing service is the most reliable solution.

What You Can try is:

Reduce the Recipient Count per Email

Try splitting the group into smaller batches and send separate emails.

Wait for the Limit to Reset

The sending limit usually resets after 24 hours.

Consider Microsoft 365 Business

If you regularly need to email large groups, a business plan offers higher limits and better tools for distribution lists.

Use Outlook Contact Groups Carefully

Large sends from personal accounts often look like bulk mail to Microsoft’s system.

 

Let me know how it goes, Happy to help!

Was this answer helpful?

2 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anne Marchand 0 Reputation points
    2026-10-09T08:59:02.49+00:00

    I am a small neighbourhood association without revenue and will need to send an email from our identified email address to over 400 addressees, so as to collect funds to go to court. From our current mailbox, I can send 20 emails at a time per day, I have to copy it and fill in the addressees box 20 by 20... It will take ages, do I need to upgrade my account?

    Was this answer helpful?

  2. AI answer

    2025-11-24T16:09:33.1866667+00:00

    To send an email to a large group in Outlook, you need to be aware of certain limitations and best practices. Since you are encountering an error related to a daily limit for sending messages, here are a few steps you can take:

    1. Reduce the Number of Recipients: If your group has 63 email addresses, consider breaking it down into smaller groups. Sending to fewer recipients at a time can help avoid hitting the daily limit.
    2. Use Distribution Lists: Instead of sending emails to individual addresses, consider creating a distribution list. This allows you to send one email to the list, which can contain many recipients without exceeding limits.
    3. Check Your Subscription Limits: Microsoft 365 Personal subscriptions may have specific sending limits. Check the details of your subscription to understand any restrictions that may apply.
    4. Contact Support: If you continue to face issues, consider reaching out to Microsoft support for assistance with your account and to clarify any limits that may be affecting your ability to send emails.
    5. Try Sending at Different Times: Sometimes, sending emails at different times of the day can help if you are close to your limit.

    By following these steps, you should be able to manage your email sending effectively and avoid the error message you are encountering.

    AI-generated content may be incorrect. Read our transparency notes for more information.

    Was this answer helpful?