Windows 11 File Explorer jumps to top when scrolling

RMT4160 91 Reputation points
2022-11-20T18:31:05.403+00:00

When I am scrolling through a long list of project files, if I don't pick a folder or keep scrolling, the display will jump back up to the top and I have to start all over again. This has apparently been a bug since Windows 10 because I see solutions suggested in a Google search. The solution suggested for the 10 system does not work for 11. The suggested solution for 10 is uncheck the "Automatically pick an accent color from my background option" check box under Choose your accent color which I assume is equivalent to choosing "Manual" in the "Auto/Man" selection of Accent Color in Windows 11.

Windows for business | Windows Client for IT Pros | User experience | Other

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

17 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. S.Sengupta 32,666 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2022-11-21T02:02:01.973+00:00

    Apart from Settings > Personalization:

    In the next window, click on Colors on the left side of the pane. On the right side of the pane, scroll down, and uncheck Automatically pick an accent color from my background option under Choose your accent color.

    Other things you could do:

    Just resize file explorer by grabbing it's one of the corners.

    Try using a different mouse.

    Update graphic card driver.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
  2. Limitless Technology 45,246 Reputation points
    2022-11-23T15:50:00.933+00:00

    Hi. Thank you for your question and reaching out.

    Have you ever had a new mouse installed? See if the condition can be changed by switching the mouse. If not, give them a shot to see if they can help.

    1. After beginning, go to "File Explorer Options."
    2. Select "Launch folder windows in a different process" under the View tab.
    3. then employ, good
    4. Launch the computer again.

    Has your copy of Windows been updated if the issue hasn't been fixed yet? If not, try updating to see if it resolves the problem.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/3c5ae7fc-9fb6-9af1-1984-b5e0412c556a

    You can also try to disable your accent color.

    1. Click "Settings" from your Start Menu after opening it.
    2. Then select "Personalization."
    3. Toggle "Colors" (on the left frame)
    4. Uncheck the box next to "Automatically Pick An Accent Color From My Background" by scrolling down.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    If the reply was helpful, please don’t forget to upvote or accept as answer, thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
  3. Panagiotis Tseles 0 Reputation points
    2023-03-25T10:01:11.34+00:00

    Same here. HP laptop. I tried several solutions. None worked , but....

    1. Resizing file explorer window did have positive effects
    2. Uninstalling Intel Graphics Driver and rolling back to a Default Windows driver did improve the situation

    Hope that helps

    Was this answer helpful?

  4. Jam 0 Reputation points
    2023-06-29T08:55:57.09+00:00

    I had the same issue and none of the above seemed to work. Turned out that my one drive wasn't logged in (as i had a password change and hadn't updated the onedrive login) and it kept refreshing windows explorer. I logged my one drive back in and it sorted it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Pete Holmes 0 Reputation points
    2024-04-07T11:37:17.4266667+00:00

    I understand that this thread refers to Windows 11. However, I have seen similar concerns from Windows 7 & 10 users - I use Windows 7. The problem has been bugging me for a coouple of weeks & was still an issue even after changing various settings and powering down my keyboard & mouse (both wireless) etc. Then it occurred to me that I hadn't tried powering down the usb mouse/keyboard wireless receiver. Once I'd removed & re-inserted the receiver all was well again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments