Windows 11 File Explorer jumps to top when scrolling

RMT4160 91 Reputation points
2022-11-20T18:31:05.403+00:00

When I am scrolling through a long list of project files, if I don't pick a folder or keep scrolling, the display will jump back up to the top and I have to start all over again. This has apparently been a bug since Windows 10 because I see solutions suggested in a Google search. The solution suggested for the 10 system does not work for 11. The suggested solution for 10 is uncheck the "Automatically pick an accent color from my background option" check box under Choose your accent color which I assume is equivalent to choosing "Manual" in the "Auto/Man" selection of Accent Color in Windows 11.

Windows for business | Windows Client for IT Pros | User experience | Other

Locked Question. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

17 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. mippets 0 Reputation points
    2025-04-30T02:57:01.42+00:00

    It seems unlinking OneDrive fixed the problem for me.

    You know, OneDrive. The pre-installed trash that nobody asked for that aggressively tries to update your personal data for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. c... ...w 0 Reputation points
    2025-04-07T20:25:03.29+00:00

    The issue is OneDrive. I just unlinked my PC from OneDrive and have not had the issue occur again. Here's how to unlink your PC from OneDrive and resolve the issue:

    Unlink OneDrive from your computer

    You won't lose files or data by unlinking OneDrive from your computer. You can always access your files by signing in to OneDrive.com.

    Windows 10/11

    Select the OneDrive cloud in your notification area to show the OneDrive pop-up. Blue and white OneDrive icons

    Select the OneDrive Help and Settings icon  then select Settings.

    Go to the Account tab. A screenshot showing the Account tab in OneDrive settings.

    Select Unlink this PC, and then select __Unlink account__​​​​​​​.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. JAI 0 Reputation points
    2024-12-10T08:44:52.27+00:00

    I tried the solution mentioned in Richard Thomas' post above which is to go to Settings > Personalization > Background and switch Slideshow to Picture. I had noticed that when I had my background set to Slideshow, every time the background changed, the list of files showing in File Explorer would also jump back to the beginning. I know that this isn't the ideal solution as I like to have different backgrounds on my desktop, but it worked for me until MS can figure out a better fix for it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Chesta 0 Reputation points
    2024-12-08T12:15:49.7933333+00:00

    It’s the wallpaper. If you have it set on slideshow it’ll refresh explorer with each slide change.

    Was this answer helpful?